Physics work problem - mastering physics

In summary, the question asks to find the work done by a 15-Newton force over a distance of 160 meters at an angle of 140 degrees. The formula used is W = F * s * cos(theta), which results in a numerical answer of -1838.506. However, the error message from mastering physics may be due to the angle measure being in degrees instead of radians.
Shayna
Physics work problem -- mastering physics

Homework Statement

163337B.jpg
Find the work W done by the 15-Newton force.

Homework Equations

W=\vec F\cdot\vec s=\left|\vec F\right|\left|\vec s\right|\cos \theta

The Attempt at a Solution

W= 15*cos140*160 = -1838.506
I don't know why mastering physics was telling me "Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures."

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know if you already figured this out, but the only thing I can think of (and it's not really even related to the error you were getting) is that Mastering Physics requires angle measures to be in radians.

yes but that shouldn't be affecting the answer though, cos140degree = cos(14/9)pai
Thanks though

1. What is a "Physics work problem"?

A Physics work problem is a type of problem in which the goal is to calculate the amount of work done by a force on an object. This involves using equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's Laws and conservation of energy, to solve for the work done.

2. How do I approach solving a Physics work problem?

The first step in solving a Physics work problem is to identify all the known quantities, such as the force applied and distance moved. Then, choose an appropriate equation to use based on the given information and plug in the values. Finally, solve for the unknown quantity.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Physics work problems?

One common mistake is mixing up the units of measurement. Make sure all values are in the correct unit before plugging them into an equation. Another mistake is forgetting to account for the direction of the force, which can affect the sign of the work done. Lastly, be sure to use the correct equation for the specific scenario given in the problem.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Physics work problems?

Practice is key to mastering Physics work problems. Try solving a variety of different problems and make sure to understand the underlying concepts and principles. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek help from a tutor if needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of Physics work problems?

Physics work problems have many practical applications, such as calculating the work done by a car engine to move a car, or the work done by a person lifting weights at the gym. They are also important in fields like engineering, where work must be calculated to design and build structures and machines.