Proving Existence of Fixed Points in Continuous Sets

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the existence of a fixed point in a continuous function f:[a,b] \rightarrow [a,b]. The use of the intermediate value theorem is suggested, as well as noting that f(a)\geq a and f(b)\leq b.
angelpsymon

Homework Statement

Suppose f:[a,b] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [a,b] is continuous. Prove that there is at least one fixed point in [a,b] - that is, x such that f(x) = x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to try something with the IVT, but then I realized I wasn't sure what they meant by a fixed point much less how to solve this problem. Any help would be appretiated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Angelpsymon,

It says what a fixed point is in the problem statement: "x such that f(x) = x." You are absolutely correct in thinking to apply the intermediate value theorem. Hint: since f maps into [a,b], we must have that [tex]f(a)\geq a[/tex] and [tex]f(b)\leq b[/tex].

As Unco suggested, maybe without spelling it out completely, apply the IVT to f(x)-x.

Dick said:
As Unco suggested, maybe without spelling it out completely
Apologies, Dick, I certainly didn't mean to do so.

You don't HAVE to spell it out completely. Hints are enough. I apologize if I spoiled your hint and made it too obvious. I was just saying how to apply the IVT.

Alright, I think that I got it now. Thanks a lot guys.

1. What is a fixed point in a continuous set?

A fixed point in a continuous set is a point where the output of a function is equal to the input. In other words, it is a point where the function does not change its value when applied to that point.

2. How is a fixed point different from a root or a solution?

A fixed point is a specific type of root or solution where the output of a function is equal to the input. In contrast, a root or solution can be any point where the function is equal to a given value or set of values.

3. Why are fixed points important in mathematics?

Fixed points are important in mathematics because they can help us understand the behavior of a function. They can also be used to find roots or solutions to equations, which has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering.

4. Can a function have more than one fixed point in a continuous set?

Yes, a function can have more than one fixed point in a continuous set. In fact, some functions have an infinite number of fixed points, while others may not have any.

5. How can fixed points be calculated or approximated?

Fixed points can be calculated or approximated using various numerical methods such as iteration, bisection, or Newton's method. These methods involve repeatedly applying the function to a guess or starting point until the output converges to a fixed point.