Two people in spaceshift shift seats

• Thread starter diffusion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary: Simma's mass x Simma's Δx + Stan's mass x Stan's Δx)/(Simma's mass + Stan's mass)= -(60kg x 0.5m + 90kg x (-0.5m))/(60kg + 90kg)= -45kgm/150kg = -0.3mIn summary, when Simma and Stan swap seats in the spaceship, the space-pod remains stationary due to the net momentum being 0. The center of mass of the space-pod, Simma, and Stan does not move. Therefore, the space-pod does not move as well. The distance it would have moved, if not for the change in seats,
diffusion
Two people in a spaceship shift seats...

Homework Statement

Simma (mass 60kg) and Stan (mass 90kg) are testing an ultralight spacepod. They swap seats, with the seats being 4.0m apart, located at equal distances from the center of mass of the space-pod. The space-pod's mass is 50kg. Why does the space-pod not move after they take their new seats? How far does it move and which way? All observations are in the frame in which the space-pod was initially stationary.

Homework Equations

p[tex]_{1}[/tex] + p[tex]_{2}[/tex] + p[tex]_{3}[/tex] = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]P
center of mass = m[tex]_{2}[/tex] / m[tex]_{1}[/tex] + m[tex]_{2}[/tex] x d

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two questions here: How far does the spacepod move when Simma and Stan change seats, and why does it stop after the take their new seats.

Unless I'm over looking something, the answer to the second question is simply that the net momentum = 0, so the spacepod is at rest.

In order to find out how far it moves, I figured I could try to figure out the change in position of the center of mass, and that is how far the spacepod moves? Not really sure how to approach it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Anyone? Just need a little steering in the right direction, the rest I should be able to do by myself.

diffusion said:
In order to find out how far it moves, I figured I could try to figure out the change in position of the center of mass, and that is how far the spacepod moves? Not really sure how to approach it.

Yes, that is exactly how to approach it :smile:

Since the center-of-mass of pod+Simma+Stan does not move,

Δcom of pod = -Δcom of (Simma & Stan)

1. What is a spaceshift?

A spaceshift is a type of spacecraft designed for interstellar travel. It is equipped with advanced technology and life support systems to sustain human life in outer space.

2. How do two people shift seats in a spaceshift?

Two people can shift seats in a spaceshift by using the docking mechanism to connect their seats and then physically moving to the desired seat. Alternatively, some spaceshifts may have automated systems for seat shifting.

3. Why would two people need to shift seats in a spaceshift?

There are several reasons why two people may need to shift seats in a spaceshift. It could be for comfort purposes, in case one seat is damaged or malfunctioning, or to take turns operating different controls during a long journey.

4. Is it safe for two people to shift seats in a spaceshift?

As long as proper safety protocols are followed, shifting seats in a spaceshift is generally considered safe. However, it is important for both individuals to be trained and familiar with the process to avoid any accidents or mishaps.

5. Can two people shift seats in a spaceshift while in outer space?

Yes, it is possible for two people to shift seats in a spaceshift while in outer space. The process would be similar to shifting seats while the spaceshift is docked, but with added precautions due to the zero gravity environment. It is important for both individuals to be securely tethered and for the spaceshift to be stable during the seat shifting process.