How to Calculate Inclination Angle for Galaxies in the Tully-Fischer Relation

• Thread starter Snowdeity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation is about measuring certain things on various galaxies and calculating the Tully-Fischer relation. The speaker is stuck on calculating the inclination angle to the galaxies and is unsure if having the major and minor axis dimensions and the magnitude of the flux would help. They also mention being bad at geometrical relations and ask for help. However, they later realize that they had the correct method before and were just confused by the output in radians from Excel.
Snowdeity
I've got a lab. And the deal is, you're measuring certain things on various galaxies and eventually calculating the Tully-Fischer relation. Anyways, part of it is calculating an inclination angle to all of the galaxies measured. And I'm stuck with this. I have the major and minor axis dimensions to each galaxy but not really much else. Have the magnitude of the flux through each of them, but don't think that would help. I'm somewhat bad at geometrical relations, can anyone help clue me in on getting inclination angles with just the dimensions of the galaxy and assuming that they're intrinsically circular systems and infinitely thin disks?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nevermind, had it right beforehand. Excel just spits out angles in radians, got confused, hehe.

1. What is the inclination angle and why is it important in scientific research?

The inclination angle is the angle between a reference plane and an object's orbital plane. In scientific research, it is important because it determines the orientation and stability of an object's orbit, which can affect its behavior and interactions with other objects in space.

2. How is the inclination angle of an object determined?

The inclination angle of an object can be determined using observational data, such as position and velocity measurements, or through calculations using orbital parameters. It can also be measured directly using instruments on spacecraft or through telescopes.

3. How does the inclination angle affect the amount of sunlight an object receives?

The inclination angle can significantly affect the amount of sunlight an object receives, as it determines the angle at which the object's orbit intersects with the Sun's rays. A larger inclination angle means the object will receive less direct sunlight and may experience more extreme variations in temperature.

4. Can the inclination angle of an object change over time?

Yes, the inclination angle of an object can change over time due to various factors, such as gravitational interactions with other objects or external forces. For example, the inclination angle of a planet's orbit can change due to the gravitational pull of other planets in the solar system.

5. How does the inclination angle of a satellite affect its communication with Earth?

The inclination angle of a satellite can affect its communication with Earth, as it determines the satellite's coverage area and the frequency and duration of communication windows. A higher inclination angle may result in longer periods of communication blackout, while a lower inclination angle allows for more frequent and longer communication periods with Earth.