What are the AGMA ratings standards for helical gears?

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, during an internal viva, the question was asked about the advantages of using helical gears over spur gears. The answer given by the person next to me was that helical gears have a higher load capacity given similar dimensions and material. This answer was accepted by the professor. However, when I was asked, I mentioned that while both types have similar load capacities, helical gears have less wear and quieter operation due to gradual loading and a lesser dynamic load. The professor reasoned that this was because helical gears have more teeth in contact. However, this is not entirely accurate as part of 3-4 teeth are engaged at a time and still only add up to one complete tooth. The professor then stated that I was incorrect
ank_gl
During internal viva, we were asked what is the particular advantage of using helical gears over spur gears. The guy next to me answered that it has higher load capacity given similar dimensions, similar material etc. Professor accepted his answer. I was kinda like :confused:

When I was asked, I said they have similar load capacities, but because of gradual loading, the wear is less, operation is quieter & a bit lesser dynamic load. So he reasoned because a helical gear has more number of teeth in contact, it has higher load capacity.

But when a spur gear transmits power, one full tooth transfers power, while in case of helical gears, part of 3-4 teeth will be engaged & will transmit power, & still would add up to only one complete tooth. So the professor was like ":zzz:you are wrong!".

I am confused!:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are correct. They have more teeth in contact, but the entire face of the tooth is not in contact. They roll through the face. Now they do act quieter and do have advantages.

Example. We use a program which automatically calculates AGMA allowable power and so on and so forth. We have a standard spur gear set with a 25° pressure angle. If I keep EVERYTHING the same and change from spur to a 10° helical gear, the allowable limiting horsepower for the gear set drops about 17%. At 15° helical angle, the drop is almost 25%.

Tell your prof to check out the AGMA ratings standards.

1. What is the main advantage of using helical gears?

The main advantage of using helical gears is their ability to transmit power smoothly and quietly, resulting in less noise and vibration compared to other types of gears.

2. How do helical gears provide better strength and durability?

Helical gears have a larger surface contact area compared to other types of gears, making them stronger and more durable. They also have a gradual engagement, which helps distribute the load evenly, reducing wear and tear.

3. Can helical gears handle heavier loads and higher speeds?

Yes, helical gears are capable of handling heavier loads and higher speeds due to their design, which allows for more teeth to be in contact at any given time. This results in a smoother transfer of power and less stress on the gears.

4. Are helical gears suitable for both high precision and high torque applications?

Yes, helical gears are versatile and can be used for both high precision and high torque applications. Their design allows for a more accurate transmission of power and their larger surface contact area enables them to withstand higher torque loads.

5. How do helical gears compare to other types of gears, such as spur gears, in terms of efficiency?

Helical gears are generally more efficient than spur gears due to their larger contact area and gradual engagement, which reduces sliding friction and results in less energy loss. However, the angle of the helix and the quality of the gear teeth can also affect their efficiency.