Exploring Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R}

In summary, the example may be confusing because it is not clear what an "empty family" is. The first sentence of the example seems to suggest that an empty family would only be the empty set, but the second sentence says that the intersection of the empty set is the class of all sets.
doktordave
I am beginning to study set theory and came across the following example:

Let [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] be the empty family of subsets of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]. Since [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] is empty, every member of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] contains all real numbers. That is, [tex]((\forall A)(A\in\mathcal{A}\Rightarrow x\in A))[/tex] is true for all real numbers x. Thus [tex]\bigcap_{A\in\mathcal{A}} A = \mathbb{R}[/tex].

My problem is with the first sentence. Since a family is simply a set of sets, If we talk about an empty family wouldn't this simply be the empty set [tex]\emptyset[/tex]? And since the empty set is defined not to contain anything, how could it contain any subsets of the set of real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not contain anything. The second sentence is vacuously true.

Actually, the intersection of the empty set is V, the class of all sets.

doktordave said:
I am beginning to study set theory and came across the following example:

Let [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] be the empty family of subsets of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]. Since [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] is empty, every member of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] contains all real numbers. That is, [tex]((\forall A)(A\in\mathcal{A}\Rightarrow x\in A))[/tex] is true for all real numbers x. Thus [tex]\bigcap_{A\in\mathcal{A}} A = \mathbb{R}[/tex].

My problem is with the first sentence. Since a family is simply a set of sets, If we talk about an empty family wouldn't this simply be the empty set [tex]\emptyset[/tex]?
Yes, that's true. "every member of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] contains all real numbers" is the same as "if U is a member of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] then U contains all real numbers". The statement "if A then B" is true whenever A is false, irrespective of whether B is true or false (that is what slider142 means by "vacuously true"). Since "U is a member of [tex]\mathcal{a}[/tex] is always false, anything we say about U is true!

And since the empty set is defined not to contain anything, how could it contain any subsets of the set of real numbers?
It doesn't. That is not what the statement says!

I think I understand now. Since the intersection over [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] is defined as [tex]\left\{x: (\forall A)(A\in \mathcal{A} \Rightarrow x\in A)\right\}[/tex] and the antecedent of the conditional is always false (there is nothing in [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex]), the conditional will always be true, because of the way the conditional operator is defined. So x can be anything in the universe. This seems a little backwards to my way of thinking, but I guess that's ok. I'll have to study that article on vacuous truth, it looks interesting. Thanks!

edit: Ah, thanks HallsofIvy. I was busy editing this post while you responded.

1. What is the Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R}?

The Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R}, also known as the Empty Set, is a mathematical concept that refers to a set that has no elements or members. It is denoted by the symbol ∅ or {}. In other words, it is a set that has nothing in it.

2. How is the Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R} different from the Null Set?

Although the terms Empty Set and Null Set are often used interchangeably, they have slightly different meanings. The Empty Set refers to a set that has no elements, while the Null Set refers to a set that does not exist at all. In other words, the Null Set is not even considered a set, whereas the Empty Set is still a valid set in mathematics.

3. What is the cardinality of the Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R}?

The cardinality of a set refers to the number of elements it contains. Since the Empty Set has no elements, its cardinality is 0. In other words, the Empty Set is considered to be a finite set with 0 elements.

4. How is the Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R} used in mathematics?

The Empty Set may seem like a trivial concept, but it has important applications in mathematics. For example, it is used in set theory to define the intersection and union of sets, and in topology to define the concept of an empty set as a subset of every set. It also plays a role in the definition of the natural numbers and in the foundations of mathematics.

5. Can the Empty Family of Subsets of \mathbb{R} be a subset of any other set?

Yes, the Empty Set is a subset of every set. This is because every element in the Empty Set is also an element of any other set, since the Empty Set has no elements. In other words, every set contains the Empty Set as a subset.