Books about string theory, wormholes, black holes, etc

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for introductory books on String Theory, Wormholes, and Black Holes. The person asking for recommendations has a computer science background and is looking for books geared towards academics, specifically 1st year graduate students or advanced undergraduates. They mention their physics and math background, which includes graduate-level linear algebra, functional analysis, complex analysis and quantum theory, and undergraduate level abstract algebra, geometry, and basic topology. The conversation ends with a recommendation for Zwiebach's book on String Theory and gratitude for the provided links.
mvillagra
I have a computer science background, so I don't know about this. Can somebody give me some recommendations on good introductory books about
-String Theory
- Wormholes
-Black holes
etc.

I'm looking something for academics, not for general public. So maybe books for 1st year graduate students or advanced undergrad will fit.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much physics background do you have? How much math have you had? To do black holes, one would have to do General Relativity, which requires a background in abstract algebra and/or differential geometry along with some topology. For string theory, you need graduate-level algebraic geometry and topology skills, high-level abstract algebra, functional analysis, and even some category theory in order to study it. Not only that; you need some heavy-duty Quantum Field Theory before you do string theory.

I'm just assuming from your background that you may not have all of this. But when you do learn it, a great book for GR and Black Holes is Wald's General Relativity, but I don't know about a good one for string theory. I have Becker, Becker, and Schwarz's String Theory and M-Theory, and it is pretty good, but I don't have all of the math prerequisites to read it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in quantum computing, so my background on physics and mathematics is graduate-level of linear algebra, functional analysis, complex analysis and quantum theory, and undergraduate level of abstract algebra, geometry, and very basic topology. I don't know anything about quantum field theory nor category theory.

According to that background, which books are recommended?

Zwiebach has a nice book for undergraduates.

thanks for the links, I will check them out.

The Zwiebach book looks great, although I can only read the table of contents from amazon, but its a good price.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions by proposing that the particles are actually one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

2. How do wormholes work?

Wormholes are hypothetical tunnels or shortcuts through space-time that connect two distant points. They are predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, but their existence has not been confirmed. If they do exist, they would allow for faster-than-light travel and potentially time travel.

3. What is a black hole?

A black hole is an object in space with an incredibly strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from. This occurs when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity, becoming infinitely dense.

4. Are there real-life applications for string theory, wormholes, and black holes?

Currently, there are no practical applications for string theory, wormholes, and black holes. However, studying these concepts can help us better understand the fundamental laws of the universe and may lead to future technological advancements.

5. How does string theory relate to other theories of physics?

String theory is currently the most promising theory for reconciling the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is also related to other theories such as supergravity, which combines elements of both quantum mechanics and general relativity, and M-theory, which is an extension of string theory.