The sin(a+b) formula and the product rule for derivatives

In summary, the formulas for sin(a+b) and d/dx (f(x)*g(x)) have a similar structure with two factors and the same functions (sin, cos), but different subjects. This could possibly be due to the use of a basic property of arithmetic or the binomial theorem in their derivations. However, beyond these simple identities, there may not be a fundamental reason for this similarity.
kotreny
Why are they similar?

sin(a+b)=sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b)

d/dx (f(x)*g(x))=f(x)g'(x)+g(x)f'(x)

Somewhere on this very site there was mention of this, I believe, though I can't remember where. Maybe I'm delirious.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how they are very similar actually? What do you mean by "similar" ?

I think perhaps what you saw was that the formula for repeated differentiation of products was "similar" to the binomial theorem.

Admittedly, the word "similar" might have been too strong to describe the pattern I see. Just the vague shapes of the formulas are the same; everything else is quite different.

The two addends each contain two factors. The same functions are used in both factors (sin, cos), although the "subjects" alternate (a, b forgive the terminology.)

In this case the functions are :nothing: and :prime:. The subjects are f(x) and g(x).

Yes, a very general pattern, but I feel it is like the similarity between a frog and a giraffe: They are both animals, with a heart, digestive system, etc. Maybe some basic property of arithmetic applied at the very beginning of the derivations for these somehow did this. Maybe it has something to do with the binomial theorem. There might be other formulas following this pattern too, in which case I'd be happy to know them. I'm looking for a broad, underlying principle.

kotreny said:
Why are they similar?

Somewhere on this very site there was mention of this, I believe, though I can't remember where. Maybe I'm delirious.

Let's see for a simple case: If you call [tex]sin(x) = f(x)[/tex] and also [tex]sin(x) = g (x)[/tex]

[tex]sin(x+x)=sin(x)cos(x) + cos(x)sin(x)[/tex] is really like
[tex] \quad \quad \quad = f(x)g'(x) + g(x)f'(x) [/tex]

and this is equal to [tex] d/dx (f(x) g(x) )[/tex] as you said... But that makes sense, since

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} sin^2 (x) = 2 sin(x) cos(x) = sin(2x) = sin (x+x) [/tex]

Apart from these simple identities, I don't see a fundamental reason for this similarity.

Last edited:

1. What is the sin(a+b) formula?

The sin(a+b) formula is a trigonometric identity that states sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). It is used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve problems involving angles and their sums.

2. How is the sin(a+b) formula derived?

The sin(a+b) formula can be derived using the sum-to-product identities for sine and cosine, along with the Pythagorean identity. It is also possible to derive it using the complex exponential form of sine and cosine.

3. What is the product rule for derivatives?

The product rule for derivatives is a formula used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)g(x) is equal to f'(x)g(x) + g'(x)f(x), where f'(x) and g'(x) are the derivatives of f(x) and g(x), respectively.

4. How is the product rule for derivatives applied?

The product rule for derivatives is applied by first finding the derivatives of each individual function, then plugging them into the formula. It is important to remember to use the chain rule when finding the derivative of a function within another function.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the sin(a+b) formula and product rule for derivatives?

Some common mistakes when using the sin(a+b) formula and product rule for derivatives include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the order of terms in the sin(a+b) formula, and forgetting to distribute the derivative to both terms in the product rule.