Cauchy trick for divergent integrals.

In summary, the speaker is discussing a "trick" that is sometimes used in dealing with integrals in Quantum Physics. The trick involves replacing a divergent integral with a different one that has a finite value, using the Cauchy residue theorem. However, the opinion of the speaker is that this trick is not valid in a mathematical sense, as divergent integrals should not be assigned a value. The speaker also points out that the method does not follow the usual rules for change of variables in an integral. The speaker also mentions the concept of Cauchy principal value and demonstrates its application to the two integrals discussed.
zetafunction
is this trick valid at least in the 'regularization' sense ?? for example

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^{2}-a^{2}} [/tex]

then we replace thi integral above by [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^{2}+ie-a^{2}} [/tex] for 'e' tending to 0

using Cauchy residue theorem i get [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^{2}+ie-a^{2}}=(i\pi )/a [/tex]

the same trick applied to [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x+a}= 2\pi i [/tex]

however we have obtained a complex regularization to a Real valued integral, i have seen this trick whenever dealing integrals in Quantum Physics but i want to hear the opinion of a Mathematician.

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion: what you wrote is worthless as mathematics. Divergent integrals (as in these two examples) should not be said to "have a value".

I am no mathematician, but when you "complex regularize" (whatever that means) I think you forgot to change your domain of integration. Probably that is why this result is finite.

The Cauchy principal value for a the integral of a real function is (if it exists) real. But of course, it doesn't obey the usual rules for change of variables in an integral.

[tex]
{\rm P.V.}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{x^2-a^2} =
\lim _{u\rightarrow 0^{+}} \left( \int _{a+u}^{\infty }\! \left( {x}^{
2}-{a}^{2} \right) ^{-1}{dx}+\int _{-a+u}^{a-u}\! \left( {x}^{2}-{a}^{
2} \right) ^{-1}{dx}+\int _{-\infty }^{-a-u}\! \left( {x}^{2}-{a}^{2}
\right) ^{-1}{dx} \right) =0
[/tex]

The second example is improper (and divergent) both at [tex]a[/tex] and at [tex]\pm\infty[/tex]. Principal value computation yields zero also in that case.

1. What is the Cauchy trick for divergent integrals?

The Cauchy trick is a mathematical technique used to evaluate divergent integrals. It involves manipulating the integrand to make it look like a limit of a convergent integral, which can then be evaluated using standard techniques.

2. When is the Cauchy trick most commonly used?

The Cauchy trick is most commonly used in complex analysis, specifically when evaluating integrals along a contour in the complex plane. It can also be used in other areas of mathematics, such as real analysis and differential equations.

3. How does the Cauchy trick work?

The Cauchy trick involves adding and subtracting a carefully chosen function from the integrand to transform it into a limit of a convergent integral. This function is typically chosen to cancel out the divergent behavior of the original integrand.

4. Can the Cauchy trick be used for all types of divergent integrals?

No, the Cauchy trick is not applicable to all types of divergent integrals. It is most effective for integrals that have a simple pole or branch point as their only singularity. In some cases, other methods such as regularization or analytic continuation may be more suitable.

5. Are there any limitations to the Cauchy trick?

Yes, the Cauchy trick may not always provide an exact solution to a divergent integral. In some cases, it may only give an asymptotic approximation that becomes more accurate as the integration limit approaches infinity. Additionally, the Cauchy trick may fail to work if the integrand is not sufficiently well-behaved.