Convergence of Series with Square Root Terms

In summary, a series with positive terms that converges does not necessarily mean that the series of the square roots of the terms also converges. A counterexample is provided to show that the second series may diverge even if the first series converges. The integral test may be used to establish convergence in this case.
sutupidmath
Hi all,

A friend of mine asked me if i had any ideas about the following problem, i tackled it but with no success, so i thought i would post it here.
It is not a homework problem, or a regular textbook problem.

Problem:

If we know that a series with positive terms :

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}a_i<\infty[/tex]

Then what can we say about the nature of the series:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sqrt{\frac{a_i}{i}}[/tex]

?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try two examples:
[tex] a_i = \frac{1}{i^2} [/tex]
and
[tex] a_i = \frac{1}{i(\log (i+1))^2} [/tex]

I appreciate your input. I should've thought about the second example><

I'm not sure of how to show this but my mind tells me the second series converges.

My reasoning is as follows:

Since the first series converges you can find a p series that is relatively close to ai ( for example i^(1.06) from the p-series we know that 1/i^(p) converges for p >1).

Assuming your original series if approximated by a p-series that conveges say 1/ (i^p) we can say that the second series is approximately sigma ( 1/ n^((p+1)/2)) ,which converges since P>1, and p+1 > 2 the second series becomes a p-series with p >1 also.

Thus convergence can be established.

Unfortunately I can not think of any convergence test that would establish convergence more clearly and nicely. There are probably some test out there that you can use to establish convegence. You may even be to establish some nice inequality that would make convergence more obvious and mathematically sound. I was thinking of the Cauchy -Schwartz but i don't see any immediate benefit of using it.

This is a counter example:

Since the first series converges while the second diverges.

Case closed!

sutupidmath said:
I appreciate your input. I should've thought about the second example><

It's a pretty sophisticated counterexample, don't think it should have been obvious.

Office_Shredder said:
It's a pretty sophisticated counterexample, don't think it should have been obvious.

It is a standard example for "the integral test" where ratio and root tests fail. If you don't know it, then probably your textbook will do "the integral test" later.

sutupidmath said:
This is a counter example:

Since the first series converges while the second diverges.

Case closed!

Sorry I didn't look at that post.

My mistake lol.

I guess I was wrong about convergence.lol

Last edited:

1. What is a hard series convergence?

A hard series convergence refers to a mathematical concept in which a series (a sequence of numbers) converges to a specific value. It is considered "hard" because the convergence is not guaranteed and requires specific conditions to be met.

2. How is a hard series convergence different from a regular series convergence?

A hard series convergence is different from a regular series convergence because it requires stricter conditions to be met. Regular series convergence can occur for a wider range of series, while hard series convergence is limited to specific types of series.

3. What are the conditions for a hard series convergence to occur?

The conditions for a hard series convergence to occur include a positive and decreasing sequence of terms, and the limit of the series as n approaches infinity must be equal to 0.

4. What is the significance of a hard series convergence in mathematics?

A hard series convergence is significant in mathematics because it allows for the evaluation of infinite series, which are commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps in determining the convergence or divergence of a series, which is essential in many mathematical calculations.

5. Can a hard series convergence be proven?

Yes, a hard series convergence can be proven by using mathematical techniques such as the Cauchy condensation test or the integral test. These methods help determine the convergence or divergence of a series by evaluating its terms and limits.