Is it possible to write functions in latex for figure positioning?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing functions in Latex to place figures consistently throughout a document. The idea is to create a function similar to those used in MATLAB, where the figures and captions can be specified and then called in the document. The possibility of using LaTeX macros is also mentioned, which would allow for easier scaling of figures by defining a value for the command.
steem84
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to write functions in Latex to place figures in a constant way during the whole document. What I had in mind is to do it in 'a MATLAB way', for example:

In the document itself, you could call the function and specify the figures and the caption like this:

placefigures{cow.png,duck.png,animals}

and below the whole document, or maybe in another file, the function:

function placefigures{figure1,figure2,caption}
\begin{figure}
\begin{minipage}{0.5\textwidth}
\includegraphics[width=0.95\textwidth]{figures/figure1}
\end{minipage}
%\hspace{0.05\textwidth}
\begin{minipage}{0.5\textwidth}
\includegraphics[width=0.95\textwidth]{figures/figure2}
\end{minipage}
\caption{figcaption}
\end{figure}

In this way it would be possible to change only one number if you would change your figure positioning during the whole document.

Is something like possible?

Regards,

Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Look into LaTeX macros. They should work with figures.

Thanks for the answer, but I'm quite a newbe in Latex so I'm affraid I need more help. Is it possible to define a value to a command, so that you can later use it to scale all the pictures in the same way? I mean something like this:

\newcommand{\figurewidth}{0.4}

and then later, in the figure enviroment

\begin{figure}
\includegraphics[width=\figurewidth]{figures/figure1}
\end{figure}

1. Can functions be used to position figures in LaTeX?

Yes, functions can be used to position figures in LaTeX. Functions in LaTeX are used to define custom commands or macros, and they can be used to create custom figure positioning commands.

2. What is the advantage of using functions for figure positioning in LaTeX?

The advantage of using functions for figure positioning in LaTeX is that it allows for more flexibility and control over the placement of figures. Functions can be customized to fit specific needs and can save time by automating the positioning process.

3. Are there any predefined functions for figure positioning in LaTeX?

Yes, LaTeX has predefined functions for figure positioning such as \begin{figure}[h], \begin{figure}[t], and \begin{figure}[b], which position figures at the current location, at the top of the page, and at the bottom of the page, respectively.

4. Can functions be used to position multiple figures at once in LaTeX?

Yes, functions can be used to position multiple figures at once in LaTeX. By defining a custom function, multiple figures can be placed in a specific arrangement on the page.

5. Are there any limitations to using functions for figure positioning in LaTeX?

There are no major limitations to using functions for figure positioning in LaTeX. However, it is important to keep in mind that the positioning of figures also depends on the layout and formatting of the document, and functions may not always produce the desired results. It is recommended to test and adjust the functions as needed for optimal figure placement.