The need for reactor engineeers ?

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactor
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential career opportunities for someone with a degree in nuclear engineering and mechanical engineering. There is a need for nuclear engineers due to the upcoming retirement of many individuals in the industry. Opportunities may be more prevalent in the construction of new nuclear reactors overseas, but there are also opportunities in the US for reactor engineering, particularly in core reload design and fuel management. Additionally, a nuclear engineering degree opens doors to other activities such as safety, licensing, and regulation. For those interested in developing new nuclear technologies, the primary limitation is materials and mechanical engineers can play a role in this field with a background in nuclear reactors.
koab1mjr
Hi all

I am in mech engineering and I really want to study nuclear engineering to help push along the technology. My questions is given the US's slow adoption of new techs and plants is there really a great need for nuclear engineers specifically ones that work on the reactor.

MY concentration will be in nuclear but the mech degree allows for me not to be overly committed, but working on energy and making plants smaller safer and more efficent is what I want to do. Will i need to stay more on the research end of things or is there enough demand from reactor vendors to make reactor engineering a feasible career.

I am concerned it will be a niche for few hundred people.

Also as a mech engineer you can use just pure thermo to do a lot of things in regards to nuclear power generation. What are some jobs besides reactor engineering where a nuclear degree is required in power generation. I am excluding all operator type roles stricly enginnering.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's a need, because so many people in the industry will be retiring in the next few years. You should be able to name your own salary. Probably the bigger opportunities will be in the construction of new nuclear reactors overseas (there will only be a few nuclear units here in the US, despite what's in the press). The nuclear engineering degree opens lots of doors in nuclear for you, but maybe not everywhere else (maybe something in nuclear medicine, maybe, not my area). May nuclear research reactors.

The Mech Eng degree will open many other doors. I remember working on an aircraft engine design lead by a nuclear engineer (not an aero, much to my surprise).

bonzoboy said:
There's a need, because so many people in the industry will be retiring in the next few years. You should be able to name your own salary. Probably the bigger opportunities will be in the construction of new nuclear reactors overseas (there will only be a few nuclear units here in the US, despite what's in the press). The nuclear engineering degree opens lots of doors in nuclear for you, but maybe not everywhere else (maybe something in nuclear medicine, maybe, not my area). May nuclear research reactors.
Only retired, sad ? My schools have a bunch of 70s yr old professors still working hard

bonzoboy said:
Probably the bigger opportunities will be in the construction of new nuclear reactors overseas (there will only be a few nuclear units here in the US, despite what's in the press).

Does this mean that there are no opprotunities in nuclear reactor design in the US? Or just that there are better opprotunities overseas?

The actual construction of nuclear plants doesn't require much work by nuclear engineers because the aspects of plant design that they work on is done well before construction in the field starts. Nuclear engineers do participate in the field work but mostly at the very end of construction, during the initial plant startup.

There's plenty of work here in the US for reactor engineers, both at the NSSS/fuel vendors (Westinghouse, Areva, GE) and at the operating plants (working for the power companies that run the plants). I'd say that most of the real 'nuclear engineering' work is related to the core reload design & fuel management. But having a nuke degree opens the doors to a lot of other activities.

Most safety/licensing/regulating groups will have a lot of reactor engineering people who double check and critique the work done by the engineers in industry.

If you would like to help develop the next steps in nuclear reactors, the primary limitations are materials. Developing and understanding materials for nuclear environments seems to currently be the limiting factor for developing new nuclear technologies.

Mechanical engineers are well suited to this type of work provided they take a course or two on nuclear reactors to understand the engineering requirements of the materials. The main requirement is developing materials that can withstand the radiation fields, higher temperatures and stresses for longer periods of time.

1. What is a reactor engineer and what do they do?

A reactor engineer is a scientist who specializes in designing, building, and maintaining nuclear reactors. They are responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of these complex systems, and may also be involved in research and development of new reactor technologies.

2. Why is there a need for reactor engineers?

Reactor engineers are essential for the safe and reliable operation of nuclear power plants, which provide a significant portion of the world's energy needs. They also play a crucial role in developing new and improved reactor designs to meet future energy demands.

3. What education and skills are required to become a reactor engineer?

Most reactor engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, or a related field. They also typically have specialized training and certifications in nuclear engineering and safety. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for this career.

4. What are the job prospects for reactor engineers?

The demand for reactor engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as many current engineers are approaching retirement and new nuclear power plants are being built. Additionally, advancements in nuclear technology and potential for nuclear energy to address climate change concerns may create new job opportunities.

5. What are the safety protocols and regulations for nuclear reactors?

Nuclear reactors are subject to strict safety protocols and regulations, which are enforced by government agencies such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. These include regular inspections, safety drills, and strict guidelines for the handling and disposal of nuclear materials. Reactor engineers play a critical role in ensuring that these protocols are followed and that the reactors operate safely.