Nuclear reaction leading to formation of C^14 ?

In summary: The Nuclear Reaction That Made Carbon-14" on HowStuffWorks.com. http://science.howstuffworks.com/carbon-14.htm
hermtm2
Nuclear reaction leading to formation of C^14 ?

Hello.

I've got two questions from the NPRE class. One of them is to estimate how old the certain wook piece contained some amount of C^14 is. I solved it.

The real question is the second one which is
" Write down the nuclear reaction leading to formation of C^14. "

What happen with C^14 related to unclear reaction?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

14C must be formed somehow. It has Z=6, N=8 (6 protons and 8 neutrons).

n-capture by 13C would be one possibility, but there just isn't enough low energy neutrons in nature to produce all the 14C observed.

Think of a nuclear isobar - same atomic mass, but different Z - and think about what nuclear reaction might occur to produce 14C.

I know how to calculate Q or etc. but I have no idea how to extract the formation of the unclear action. Could you give me a little more hint?

Thanks.

Are you familiar with the chart of the nuclides, hermtm2? It is a chart that shows all the elements and all isotopes of each element. If you look it up and observe the nuclides around C-14, you should be able to find a common path to it.

hermtm2 said:
I know how to calculate Q or etc. but I have no idea how to extract the formation of the unclear action. Could you give me a little more hint?

Thanks.
What other stable radionulcides exist with A = 14? What would need to happen in order to transform it to 14C?

hermtm2 said:
" Write down the nuclear reaction leading to formation of C^14. "

What happen with C^14 related to unclear reaction?

Thanks.

1n + 14N [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 14C + 1H
Via Cosmic rays.

Then,

14C [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 14N + e- + [tex]\bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

Brain, Marshall. "How Carbon-14 is Made" 03 October 2000. HowStuffWorks.com. http://science.howstuffworks.com/carbon-141.htm 14 February 2010.

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, resulting in the formation of a new element or isotope.

2. How does a nuclear reaction lead to the formation of C^14?

In a nuclear reaction, a neutron collides with a nitrogen atom, causing it to absorb the neutron and form an unstable isotope of carbon, C^14. This is known as neutron capture.

3. What is the role of C^14 in radiocarbon dating?

C^14 is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is naturally present in the atmosphere. It is used in radiocarbon dating to determine the age of organic materials, as it decays at a constant rate over time.

4. How is C^14 produced in nature?

C^14 is produced in the Earth's upper atmosphere through the interaction of cosmic rays with nitrogen atoms. This process is known as cosmic ray spallation.

5. What are the potential dangers of nuclear reactions involving C^14?

The main danger of nuclear reactions involving C^14 is the production of high levels of radiation. This can be harmful to living organisms and the environment if not properly controlled. Additionally, the long-term storage and disposal of radioactive waste from C^14 reactions is a major concern for nuclear facilities.