Stuck with a problem on linear thermal expansion of solids

In summary: Thanks again for the help!In summary, the problem asks for the change in angle between the diagonals of a rectangle when the temperature is increased. The equation for this istanθ = x(1+α.t)/x(1+β.t) = (1+α.t)/(1+β.t)= (1+α.t)(1 +β.t)-1. This can be solved for α and β using calculus. Once α and β are known, the angle between the diagonals can be calculated using sec2θ dθ/dt.
subho123
stuck with a problem...on linear thermal expansion of solids

Homework Statement

I just read a problem 2day...it's on linear thermal expansion of soild...can anyone guide me through...it says..." A sqaure ABCD is made with two different metals...the coefficient of thermal expansion of the metal which made AB & CD is alpha (don't know how to type alpha) & the same of the metal which made BC & AD is beta (??)..Now if the temperature of the system is increased by t. then prove the angle between the diagonals will change by (alpha - beta).t/2 " ?

can u pls help...

thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi subho123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(have an alpha: α :wink:)

The square will become a rectangle, and the angle between the diagonals of a rectangle is twice … ? :smile:

thanks tiny-tm for replying so quickly & helping regarding the symbols...well i had an attempt at this...but the value that i m getting...is (α - B).t which is not desired one...let me tell u what i have done...

let the length of the each side of the square is x...then for the increasement of temp by t the side AB & CD will bcom x(1+α.t) & similarly BC & AD will bcom x(1+β.t)..now after temp increase the sqaure will bcome a rectangle ABCD. let the angle DBC is θ. Now, if the diagonals intersect at P, then clearly the angle DPC is 2θ. and the angle DPC has increased by (2θ - Π/2) for the tmp increased.
Now from rectangle ABCD we can say..tanθ = x(1+α.t)/x(1+β.t) = (1+α.t)/(1+β.t)= (1+α.t)(1 +β.t)-1 = (1+α.t)(1 -β.t) = {1+(α-β).t} [as α & β are very small so their higher powers are negligible]

now tan2θ = 2{1+(α-β).t} /1 - {1+(α-β).t}2 = -{1+(α-β).t} /(α-β).t}

now let the change in angle = A = (2θ - Π/2)

tanA = tan((2θ - Π/2)= -tan(Π/2 - 2θ) = -cot2θ = (α-β).t /{1+(α-β).t} = (α-β).t{1-(α-β).t} = (α-β).t i have tried upto this is ...now this isn't the answer...will anybody help me...

thanks

Hi subho123! :smile:

hmm … i make it the same as you …

tanθ = 1 + (α-β).t …

then using calculus (if you haven't done calculus, never mind, it should give the same answer, so it's a good way of checking) …

sec2θ dθ/dt = (α-β), and sec2θ is approximately 2 (because θ is approximately 45º),

so 2dθ/dt = (α-β),

and so the change in 2θ is approximately (α-β)t

Thanks tiny-tm for the clarification...it seems that the sum has a printing mistake...

1. What is linear thermal expansion of solids?

Linear thermal expansion is the phenomenon in which a solid material expands or contracts in one linear direction when heated or cooled. It is caused by the increase or decrease in the average vibration of atoms in the material.

2. How does linear thermal expansion affect the size of a solid?

As a solid material is heated, the average distance between its atoms increases, causing it to expand in the direction of the heat flow. Conversely, when a solid is cooled, the average distance between its atoms decreases, causing it to contract in the direction of the heat flow. This change in size is known as linear thermal expansion.

3. What factors affect the amount of linear thermal expansion in a material?

The amount of linear thermal expansion in a material depends on its coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE), which is a measure of how much the material will expand or contract per unit length for every degree change in temperature. Factors such as the type of material, its crystal structure, and its temperature range can all affect the CLTE.

4. How is linear thermal expansion measured?

The linear thermal expansion of a material can be measured using a device called a dilatometer. This instrument measures the change in length of a material as it is heated or cooled over a specified temperature range. The resulting data can then be used to calculate the material's CLTE.

5. Why is it important to understand linear thermal expansion of solids?

Understanding linear thermal expansion is important in many practical applications, such as building and construction, engineering, and materials science. It allows us to predict how a material will behave when exposed to changes in temperature, and helps us design structures that can accommodate these changes without causing damage or failure.