Voltage Divider (in a circuit)

In summary, the problem involves a voltage divider with resistors R2 and R3, with an input voltage passing through R1 before reaching the divider. The desired voltage across R3 can be found by analyzing the circuit and using a node equation to solve for the voltage at the divider's junction. This voltage can then be used to find the current through R3, which is the desired value.
Katfazack

Homework Statement

I'm looking at a larger circuit, but part of the problem is clearly an application of a voltage divider. The input voltage goes through a resistor (let's call it R1, it's value is 3kohms) and then it hits a node at which point it can go through R2 or R3 (12 and 6kohms respectively). If I want to know the voltage that goes through R3, how do I calculate this?

I've attached an image of the problem and listed my prior assumptions below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made assumptions in this problem, starting with a source transformation (to make my current source a voltage source) and from there I'm assuming that if I use a voltage divider to get the voltage across the 6kohm resistor (further to the left) I can find the voltage at that node and ultimately find ix (the desired value). But I'm very stuck! Please help!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
A complete solution is offered.

Let's analyze the circuit as-is. The op-amp is configured as a voltage follower (buffer) so both its inputs will be at the same potential as the output. Also, since ideal op-amp inputs have infinite impedance, the same current ##i_x## flows through both of the 6 kΩ resistors and thus they form a voltage divider. If the junction of those two resistors is at ##v_o##, then the top of the divider must be at ##2 v_o##.
upload_2016-2-6_0-32-23.png

Now we're in a position to write a node equation for the ##2 v_o## node. Summing currents leaving the node:

##-4 mA + \frac{2 v_o}{3 k} + \frac{2 v_o - v_o}{6 k} + \frac{2 v_o - v_o}{12 k} = 0##

## v_o = \frac{48}{11} V = 4.364 V##

The current through the 6 kΩ resistors is then:

##i_x = \frac{2 v_o - V_o}{6 kΩ} = \frac{8}{11} mA = 727.3 μA##

1. What is a voltage divider in a circuit?

A voltage divider is a simple circuit that is used to divide a voltage into smaller parts. It consists of two or more resistors connected in series, where the output voltage is taken across one of the resistors.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by using the principle of Ohm's law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. By using different values of resistors in a series, the voltage is divided in proportion to the resistance values.

3. What are the applications of voltage dividers?

Voltage dividers are commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage level for different components, such as transistors and sensors. They are also used in power supplies to regulate the output voltage.

4. How do I calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider?

The output voltage of a voltage divider can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the values of the resistors in the circuit.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of a voltage divider?

The accuracy of a voltage divider can be affected by factors such as the tolerance of the resistors used, temperature changes, and the load connected to the output. It is important to use resistors with low tolerance values and to consider the effects of temperature when designing a voltage divider circuit.