Fast and slow speed of Fan in hot weather?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a fast or slow function on an electric fan in hot weather and which one will consume more energy. The consensus is that the faster setting will use more energy, as it is performing more work on the fluid flow. Some argue that the energy consumption is equal for both settings, but this is not the case according to the laws of physics. Ultimately, the faster setting will use more energy, and it is not possible to have a fan that operates at high speeds without consuming more energy.
cherish
Hi all, I am wondering that we should choose fast or slow function of electric Fan in hot weather, which function will spend much more of energy?, can someone give me an explanation :D Forgive me if the questions is silly

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
cherish said:
Hi all, I am wondering that we should choose fast or slow function of electric Fan in hot weather, which will spend much more of energy, can someone give me an explanation :D Forgive me if the questions is silly

Movement of air it gives the sensation of coolness.
Hurry evaporation, which consumes energy, so it cools.
(When something is hot, you blow over it.:smile:)

I received an answer from another forum that:
"Regarding such as windmills are the way we think of but here it is another different. about Windmills, you eat less (less wind-> less energy), the less electricity it, eat it (much wind -> more energy), it granted more power. It is your case fans for its abundance (plants with a capacity of xxxx folding times) and eat it how much it took, slow fan on the fan then consume less but consumed on multiple inductors, fans back quickly on the fans consume more but less consumption in the inductors"...

:-(

The higher setting will use more energy. Energy defined as the integral of work. When the fan is at a higher setting, it's performing more work on the fluid flow, ergo more energy.

What exactly is your question?

Which setting will expend more energy? Definitely the faster setting.

Or are you asking a different question, such as: which setting is better to keep you cool? A lower setting that creates less waste heat?

DaveC426913 said:
What exactly is your question?

Which setting will expend more energy?

yeah, that's my question, 'cause i saw an argument from other guys that someone says fast or slow function of fan they expend energy equally, someone says fast function expends much more energy, and they illsutrate by complex formulas of input and output energy on how it was transformed in different function of speed :confused:

On the faster setting, the fan expends more energy.

cherish said:
i saw an argument from other guys that someone says fast or slow function of fan they expend energy equally...

Tell them that's really awesome. If turning up dial of a fan does not use any more energy, then they could scale this up thousands of times to have the fan go hundreds of miles per hour (without using any more energy), then put wind turbines in front of their fan, and solve the energy crisis. :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks a lot, now it's very clearly, and very exciting answer, i'll quote your illustration and send them now ;)

1. What is the ideal speed for a fan in hot weather?

In general, the ideal speed for a fan in hot weather is medium to high. This allows for the fan to circulate the air in the room effectively, creating a cooling breeze. However, the ideal speed may vary depending on the size and power of the fan, as well as personal preferences.

2. Can using a fan on high speed save energy in hot weather?

Yes, using a fan on high speed can save energy in hot weather. Fans do not actually cool the air, but rather create a wind chill effect which makes you feel cooler. By using a fan on high speed, you can feel cooler without having to lower the temperature on your air conditioning unit, thus saving energy.

3. Is it better to use a fan on high or low speed in hot weather?

It is generally better to use a fan on high speed in hot weather. This allows for maximum air circulation and creates a cooling breeze. However, if the weather is not too hot, using a fan on low speed may be sufficient and can save energy.

4. Can using a fan on high speed cause health problems in hot weather?

No, using a fan on high speed does not cause any health problems in hot weather. In fact, using a fan can actually help alleviate symptoms of heat-related illnesses such as heat exhaustion or heatstroke. The breeze from the fan can help cool the body and prevent overheating.

5. Does the speed of a fan affect how much it cools a room in hot weather?

The speed of a fan does not affect how much it cools a room in hot weather. As mentioned before, fans do not actually cool the air but create a wind chill effect. Therefore, the speed of the fan only affects how much air is circulated in the room, not how much it cools the air.