Understanding Anti-Symmetric Tensor Expression

• Thread starter ismaili
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation is about a tensor expression with anti-symmetric indices and the confusion over whether to anti-symmetrise indices a, b first and then b, c or to exchange a, b and b, c to get the correct expression. One person suggests that the correct way is to anti-symmetrise over a and c only, leaving b unchanged. Another person mentions that the expression may be written with bars around b to indicate that it should be left unchanged.
ismaili
Dear guys,

Have you ever met this kind of tensor expression?

[tex] A_{[a } C_{c]} [/tex]

That is, indices [tex] a, b[/tex] are anti-symmetric, and indices [tex] b, c[/tex] are anti-symmetric as well. I am confused by this, should I think this expression as: I anti-symmetrise indices [tex] a, b[/tex] first, and then antisymmetrise indices [tex] b, c[/tex]? this would result in

[tex] \frac{1}{4} (A_{a b} C_{c} - A_{b a} C_c - A_{a c} C_{b} + A_{c a} C_{b}) [/tex]

But, if I think of this expression by the meaning that I would get a minus sign whenever I exchange [tex] a, b[/tex], as well as I exchange [tex] b,c [/tex]. In this way, what I get should be

[tex] A_{[ab} C_{c]} [/tex]

So, which one is correct? I'm really confused...
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably they mean that you antisymmetrize over the indices a and c only, while the index b is left unchanged.

xepma said:
Probably they mean that you antisymmetrize over the indices a and c only, while the index b is left unchanged.
Thanks for your discussion.
But, no, in that case the expression is written as

[tex] A_{[a|b|} C_{c]} [/tex]

where the index [tex] b [/tex] is enclosed by two bars, [tex] | | [/tex].

1. What is an anti-symmetric tensor?

An anti-symmetric tensor is a mathematical object that represents a type of multilinear map between vector spaces. It is characterized by having elements that change sign when their indices are switched.

2. How is an anti-symmetric tensor different from a symmetric tensor?

An anti-symmetric tensor is different from a symmetric tensor in that the elements of a symmetric tensor remain unchanged when their indices are switched, while the elements of an anti-symmetric tensor change sign.

3. What are some real-world applications of anti-symmetric tensors?

Anti-symmetric tensors have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include describing the rotation of rigid bodies, representing electromagnetic fields, and encoding data in computer algorithms.

4. How are anti-symmetric tensors expressed mathematically?

An anti-symmetric tensor can be expressed as a sum of terms, where each term is a product of basis vectors and coefficients, with the coefficients being anti-symmetric with respect to interchange of basis vectors.

5. How can I better understand anti-symmetric tensor expression?

To better understand anti-symmetric tensor expression, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and multilinear algebra. Practice with examples and visual aids can also aid in understanding the concept.