Changing values of R in a RLC series circuit

In summary, a television channel has a frequency range from 54 MHz to 60 MHz, with a series RLC tuning circuit in a TV receiver resonating at the middle frequency of 57 MHz. The circuit uses a 16 pF capacitor and a .487 micro Henries inductor. To function properly, the current throughout the frequency range must be at least 50% of the current at the resonance frequency. The minimum possible value of the circuit's resistance can be found by setting the ratio of the currents at the edge of the frequency range to at least 50% of the current at the resonant frequency.
Twoism

Homework Statement

A television channel is assigned the frequency range from 54 MHz to 60 MHz. A series RLC tuning circuit in a TV receiver resonates in the middle of this frequency range. The circuit uses a 16 pF capacitor. Inductor is .487 micro Henries.
In order to function properly, the current throughout the frequency range must be at least 50% of the current at the resonance frequency. What is the minimum possible value of the circuit's resistance?

Homework Equations

I=V/Z
Z=sqrt(R^2+(omegaL-(omegaC)^-1)^2)
omega=2pi(frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kinda lost on this one.
I tried setting .5(V/Z1)=(V/Z2) and solving for R.
Z1 is using the 57MHz and Z2 is using 54 or 60 MHz, neither gave me a correct answer.

I meant to put "finding a value" instead of "changing values of," sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like your set up is correct. What is the expression you get for [tex] \frac{| Z_1 |}{| Z_2 |} [/tex]?

Though it doesn't seem like you need the info I wrote up below, it might be worth checking out:

Your expression for the magnitude of the impedance of the circuit is correct, but is more instructive written in this way:

[tex] | Z(w) | = \sqrt{ R^2 + ( \frac{ ( \frac{\omega}{\omega_o} )^2 - 1 }{ \omega C })^2 } [/tex]

Where [tex] \omega_o = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex] , or the angular frequency at which [tex] | Z | [/tex] is a minimum. Notice is only depends on L and C, not R. This is correspondingly the frequency of maximum current.

When you plug in the values for L and C, you find that the resonant frequency ([tex] \frac{\omega_o}{2 \pi} [/tex] ) is very close to 57 MHz, right in the middle of the range given in the problem.

Your task is to find the value R such that the ratios of the currents at the edge of the frequency range are at least 50% of the current at the resonant frequency. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

1. What is R in a RLC series circuit?

R in a RLC series circuit stands for resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is a crucial component in determining the behavior of the circuit.

2. How does changing the value of R affect the RLC series circuit?

Changing the value of R can affect the behavior of the RLC series circuit in several ways. Increasing R will decrease the amplitude of the current and voltage, and also increase the resonance frequency. Decreasing R will have the opposite effect, increasing the amplitude and decreasing the resonance frequency.

3. What is the relationship between R and the other components in a RLC series circuit?

R is directly related to the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) in a RLC series circuit. As R increases, the resonant frequency decreases, and as R decreases, the resonant frequency increases. Additionally, R and L affect the damping factor, while R and C affect the quality factor of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the value of R for a specific RLC series circuit?

The value of R can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I) or by using the impedance formula (Z=sqrt(R^2+(XL-XC)^2)). The specific value of R needed for a circuit will depend on the desired behavior and can be determined through experimentation or by using mathematical equations.

5. Can I change the value of R in a RLC series circuit without affecting the other components?

No, changing the value of R will affect the behavior of the entire RLC series circuit. The values of L and C are dependent on each other and R, and changing R will also impact the overall impedance of the circuit. It is important to consider the effects on the entire circuit when changing the value of R.