What are the units for the equation E=gamma*m?

• Thread starter lavenderblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the equations E=gamma*m and L=L0*gamma relate energy and mass, and length and Lorentz factor, respectively. The units for mass and energy are kg and Joules, while the Lorentz factor is dimensionless. When using natural units, the mass and energy should be in Planck units, with their SI equivalents listed in tables.
lavenderblue
I'm using the equation: E=gamma*m

I want to know what the units of each of the quantities are. If I want to calculate the Lorentz factor, then do I need to make sure that both the Energy and mass have the same units?

I am also using the equation for length contraction: L=L0*gamma

Do I need to make sure that the length is in metres? And is L0 the length in the rest frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula relating E and m is E = mc². m in kg, E in Joules.
The gamma factor 1/sqrt(1-v²/c²) is dimensionless (no units).
It relates two times or lengths (moving to stationary measurements) as in length contraction and time dilation.

Oh, thank you! I haven't seen natural units for many years.
The article you linked answers your question: you must put the mass and energy in Planck units. The SI equivalents for the Planck units for mass and energy are listed in tables here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_units

The units for the equation E=gamma*m are energy (E) in joules (J) and mass (m) in kilograms (kg). The Lorentz factor (gamma) is a dimensionless quantity and does not have any units. Therefore, in order to calculate the Lorentz factor, both energy and mass should have the same units.

For the equation L=L0*gamma, the units for length (L) and the rest length (L0) should be consistent, such as meters (m). L0 represents the length in the rest frame, while L represents the length in a moving frame. Both equations are part of the special theory of relativity and involve the concept of relativistic energy and length. It is important to use consistent units in order to accurately apply these equations.

What are units of an equation?

Units of an equation refer to the types of measurements used for the variables in the equation. These units are important for understanding the physical meaning and significance of the equation.

Why are units important in an equation?

Units are important in an equation because they provide context and meaning to the variables and the overall relationship between them. They also allow for accurate calculations and comparisons between different quantities.

How do you determine the units of an equation?

To determine the units of an equation, you must first identify the variables in the equation and their corresponding units. Then, you can use algebraic principles to manipulate the equation and ensure that the units on both sides of the equation are equal.

Can units be cancelled out in an equation?

Yes, units can be cancelled out in an equation as long as they appear on both sides of the equation in the same form. This is known as unit cancellation or dimensional analysis and is a useful tool for checking the accuracy of calculations.

What happens if the units in an equation do not match?

If the units in an equation do not match, it is likely that there is an error in the equation or in the units used. In order for an equation to be mathematically and physically correct, the units on both sides of the equation must be the same.