I have low gpa, but i want to go to grad school in a different subject.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's low GPA and their current objective of going to graduate school in economics. They express concerns about their chances of admission due to their lack of courses in economics and their low GPA. The individual then presents a plan to address these concerns by taking economic courses and networking with professors, but also acknowledges potential challenges such as opportunity cost and lack of financial assistance. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the individual questioning if their plan will work and considering other options such as law school.
RiceOnWok
I graduated from a top undergraduate program in applied mathematics with a general GPA of 2.91, subject GPA of 3.13 from a T1, or T2 applied math program in the nation. I found that my GPA don `t reflect my true capacity, and that i chosen the wrong subject to get a degree in. My low GPA might also be due to the fact that i tend to pick "hard classes" without regard much for my GPA.

My current objective is to go to graduate school in economics. I never took a single course in economics, but i tend to find myself reading economic journal articles in the field. I am interested in contract theory, and game theory. Since i have low GPA, and hardly a single course in economics. How am i going to find admission in a top research program in the world?
I plan to do the following to help solve my two problems( GPA, and course requirement):

I plan to be a non-matriculated student at UCLA, or UCSD for 4 continuous quarters, and take only, and only economic courses. I plan to network with my professors, so that they may write to a good recommendation when i ask them.

By doing the above, I would hope to convince the admission people in economic graduate that i can do it. Doing the above would also generate new problems:

The opportunities cost wasted for that one year.

Since i am a matriculated student, i am given low course priority.

No financial assistance from government.

Give that fact that i did year of economic courses, economic admission people might still reject me from consideration due to my previous low undergrad performance.

After one year of taking economic courses, i will apply to a host of masters(T11-T20), and phd programs(T1-T5).

Will my plan work? My goal is to obtain a PHD in economics from a T1-T5.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might sound a little harsh, but...

RiceOnWok said:
I graduated from a top undergraduate program in applied mathematics with a general GPA of 2.91, subject GPA of 3.13 from a T1, or T2 applied math program in the nation. I found that my GPA don `t reflect my true capacity, and that i chosen the wrong subject to get a degree in. My low GPA might also be due to the fact that i tend to pick "hard classes" without regard much for my GPA.

My current objective is to go to graduate school in economics. I never took a single course in economics, but i tend to find myself reading economic journal articles in the field. I am interested in contract theory, and game theory. Since i have low GPA, and hardly a single course in economics. How am i going to find admission in a top research program in the world?

What makes you think that your GPA doesn't reflect your "true" capacity? You do realize that

• ...the fact that your general GPA is lower than your subject GPA is more than a little questionable (why did you have a sub-C GPA in classes that were presumably easier than your applied math classes?),
  • ...realizing that you chose the wrong subject to get a degree in doesn't count for much,
  • ...all graduate-level classes in economics will be "hard classes",
  • ...economics is basically applied math in general.
...?

Your plan will likely not work for admission into a top university. Your existing GPA is already so low that unless you had a truly spectacular set of qualifications and/or recommendations from some heavy-hitting faculty members in your desired field you wouldn't be able to make up for it.

fss said:
What makes you think that your GPA doesn't reflect your "true" capacity? You do realize that

• ...the fact that your general GPA is lower than your subject GPA is more than a little questionable (why did you have a sub-C GPA in classes that were presumably easier than your applied math classes?),
  • ...realizing that you chose the wrong subject to get a degree in doesn't count for much,
...?

Your plan will likely not work for admission into a top university. Your existing GPA is already so low that unless you had a truly spectacular set of qualifications and/or recommendations from some heavy-hitting faculty members in your desired field you wouldn't be able to make up for it.

What about for a non-top university?

Shackleford said:
What about for a non-top university?

In the US it's almost never an issue of "if", it's a matter of "where." You can almost always find somewhere to do graduate research...whether or not you want to go there is a different matter.

fss said:

...?

That is why i plan to go to grad school for masters first. I really did not pay much attention to my undergrad study. As to my true abilities. I do score pretty high on my LSAT( 178), and all the professors that know me, do like me a lot.

RiceOnWok said:
As to my true abilities. I do score pretty high on my LSAT( 178), and all the professors that know me, do like me a lot.

Perhaps you should be looking at Law School, then?

fss said:
Perhaps you should be looking at Law School, then?
I want to go to graduate school in economics, and eventually getting a Ph.D in economics at a T5 school. If this means taking courses for a entire year as a non degree student, and gaining the recommendations needed, or by going to a lesser school for a masters.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can take some graduate level classes without being a registered Ph.D student. After you ace a few, you might be able to convince people that you are capable. This is a backdoor approach and you will be paying for it, but it may be worthwhile if you truly think you can do better.

hadsed said:
You can take some graduate level classes without being a registered Ph.D student. After you ace a few, you might be able to convince people that you are capable. This is a backdoor approach and you will be paying for it, but it may be worthwhile if you truly think you can do better.

I don`t know about taking graduate courses, but i plan to take a year of upper devision econ courses at UCLA, and do whatever that is necessary to show research ability. Will this get into a T20 program for masters? I hope to use research for my masters to get me into a phd program in a T5.

1. Can I get into grad school with a low GPA?

While a high GPA is certainly helpful for getting into grad school, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement can also play a significant role in the admissions process.

2. Will my low GPA automatically disqualify me from getting into grad school?

No, a low GPA does not automatically disqualify you from getting into grad school. Admissions committees will look at your overall application and take into consideration any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to your lower GPA. It is important to demonstrate your academic growth and potential in other areas of your application.

3. Should I explain my low GPA in my application?

If you have a legitimate reason for your low GPA, such as a family emergency or health issue, it may be helpful to explain this in your application. However, it is not necessary to provide an explanation if you do not have a valid reason for your low GPA.

4. Can I offset my low GPA with a high GRE score?

A high GRE score can certainly help to offset a low GPA, but it is not a guarantee. Admissions committees will still consider your overall application and look for evidence of academic potential and readiness for graduate-level coursework.

5. Should I consider retaking courses to improve my GPA?

If you have the time and resources to retake courses and improve your GPA, it may be worth considering. However, keep in mind that admissions committees will also consider the number of attempts you have made at a course, so it is important to weigh the potential benefits against any potential drawbacks. Additionally, focusing on other aspects of your application, such as research experience and strong letters of recommendation, may be more beneficial in the long run.