Graduating soon, need some advice.

• Thread starter Illuminati
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is graduating from Michigan Technological University with a bachelor's in physics and is unsure of their career path. They have a 3.0 overall GPA and 3.2 in physics, as well as research experience and an interest in alternative energy. They are considering options such as getting a job, going to grad school, or working in a government lab. They are seeking suggestions and have been advised to apply to graduate schools and look for jobs that utilize their research and electronics skills. The speaker is also commended for enduring the rigorous winters at Michigan Tech.
Illuminati
So I'm graduating from Michigan Technological University in the Spring with a bachelors in physics and I'm not sure what to do after.

I'll be graduating with a 3.0 overall and a 3.2 in physics. I'm taking the general GRE tomorrow and I'll be getting my physics gre scores back this week though I'm not terribly hopeful.
So I may not be a good student but I am an excellent researcher (2 years of experience once I graduate) which I think is more valuable down the road.

So taking all this into account I don't really know what I want to do after graduation. I don't know if I'll be happy getting a job, going to grad school or working in a government lab.

I know that I really enjoy doing research (currently doing research in atmospheric physics) and I'll be working on getting a paper published in the next month or so. I also enjoy DIY stuff, hacking gadgets, electronics and have a big interest in alternative energy which is what I'd like to study if I decide to go into grad school.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for which road I should go down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to go to grad school? Research positions with a bachelor's degree are hard to find in both public and private sectors.

Have you applied to any graduate schools yet? I realize it costs money, but if you're considering graduate school at all you may as well apply to a few. Many will have cut off dates to apply around December 15th for the following fall semester.

Have you looked at jobs yet? You say you have research skills (which I'll assume includes some computer modeling or programming or similar) and electronics experience from stuff you do on your own. These kind of skills are marketable for a job. For government labs you would likely look at their individual pages, for government jobs look at USAJobs, everything else either companies you know that do work in an area you'd like or sites like Monster.

Kudos to you for making it through the winters at Michigan Tech. That in itself should look impressive on a resume ;)

1. How do I prepare for life after graduation?

The first step is to start planning early. Make a list of your career goals and start networking with professionals in your field. Attend career fairs and workshops, update your resume, and practice interviewing skills.

2. Should I pursue further education or start working after graduation?

This decision depends on your career goals and personal preferences. If you want to advance in your field, further education may be necessary. If you are ready to start working, gain experience and consider further education later.

3. How can I stand out in the job market?

Aside from having a strong resume and cover letter, you can stand out by networking, building a personal brand, and gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work. Also, continuously update your skills and knowledge in your field.

4. What should I do if I can't find a job after graduation?

It's normal to face rejection and challenges in the job market. In this situation, stay persistent and keep networking. Consider internships or volunteer work to gain experience and make connections. You can also seek advice from career counselors or alumni.

5. How can I balance my personal life with my career after graduation?

It's important to prioritize self-care and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Set boundaries and make time for hobbies and activities you enjoy. Also, communicate with your employer about your needs and find a job that aligns with your personal values.