Derivative of an integral and evaluating an integral

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution:1.) I'm not sure how would I find the antiderivative of a product rule derivative. I tried to simplify the derivative which won't make much of a difference because I wouldn't be able to distribute the x into the (25+x^2)^(1/4).2.) The sqrt(x) is the lower limit and I want it to be the upper limit, so I would times the whole thing by -1. The derivative of an integral function would be the original function by the fundamental theorem of calculus. So it would be -sin((sqrtx)^2) which would be equal -sin(x), but it says that my
JennV

Homework Statement

1.) Evaluate the integral ∫ x*4th root( 25 + x^2)dx

2.) Find dy/dx
y= ∫2pi (upper limit) sin(t^2)dt
sqrt(x) (lower limit)

Homework Equations

Antiderivative

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I'm not sure how would I find the antiderivative of a product rule derivative. I tried to simplify the derivative which won't make much of a difference because I wouldn't be able to distribute the x into the (25+x^2)^(1/4).

2.) The sqrt(x) is the lower limit and I want it to be the upper limit, so I would times the whole thing by -1. The derivative of an integral function would be the original function by the fundamental theorem of calculus. So it would be -sin((sqrtx)^2) which would be equal -sin(x), but it says that my answer is wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, have you tried the following substitution:

[tex]u=\sqrt[4]{25+x^2}[/tex]

JennV said:

Homework Statement

1.) Evaluate the integral ∫ x*4th root( 25 + x^2)dx

2.) Find dy/dx
y= ∫2pi (upper limit) sin(t^2)dt
sqrt(x) (lower limit)

Homework Equations

Antiderivative

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I'm not sure how would I find the antiderivative of a product rule derivative. I tried to simplify the derivative which won't make much of a difference because I wouldn't be able to distribute the x into the (25+x^2)^(1/4).
Instead of product rule you should be thinking chain rule. A simple and obvious (to me, at least) substitution will work for this integral.
JennV said:
2.) The sqrt(x) is the lower limit and I want it to be the upper limit, so I would times the whole thing by -1. The derivative of an integral function would be the original function by the fundamental theorem of calculus. So it would be -sin((sqrtx)^2) which would be equal -sin(x), but it says that my answer is wrong.
If you switch the limits of integration the new integral is -1 times the old one, so you're not really multiplying by anything.
You have
[tex]y=\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{2\pi} sin(t^2)dt = -\int_{2\pi}^{\sqrt{x}} sin(t^2)dt [/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{d}{dx}\int_{2\pi}^{\sqrt{x}} sin(t^2)dt [/tex]

Now you're almost set, except that the differentation is with respect to x, and the upper limit of integration is not x, but a function of x. Let u = sqrt(x) and use the chain rule. The idea here is that d/dx(f(u)) = d/du(f(u)) * du/dx.

micromass said:

Wouldn't that make du hard to substitute in? I'd think

[tex]u=25+x^{2}[/tex]

would be an easier substitution.

No, it's a very easy substitution: if [tex]u=\sqrt[4]{25+x^2}[/tex], then [tex]u^4=25+x^2[/tex]. Thus [tex]4u^3du=2xdx[/tex], which gives us [tex]dx=\frac{2u^3}{x}du[/tex]. The beauty here is, that the x in the denumerator will be eliminated by the x in our integral.

Oh, I see. I guess when you take both sides to the fourth, the substitution is pretty easy. I guess I'm just more used to substitutions in the form du = f(x) dx.

micromass said:

Strants said:
Wouldn't that make du hard to substitute in? I'd think

[tex]u=25+x^{2}[/tex]

would be an easier substitution.
Both substitution work. "There's more than one way to skin a cat." - old saying.

Thank you so much to everyone that left a response to my question.
I did manage to get the correct answer for #1, YAY! =)
But I'm still struggling with #2.

Applying what has been said would it be:
Where U is sqrt(x), so du=1/2x^-1/2
So I would put in -sin((1/2x^-1/2)^2), is this the correct answer...?
Sorry I'm asking for confirmation, it's because I only have one attempt left on this question.

1. What is the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is the original function that is being integrated. In other words, it is the rate of change of the integral with respect to its variable.

2. How do you find the derivative of an integral?

To find the derivative of an integral, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral can be found by evaluating the integrand at the upper limit of the integral and then multiplying by the derivative of the upper limit.

3. What is the difference between the derivative of an integral and evaluating an integral?

The derivative of an integral is a function, while evaluating an integral is a process of finding a numerical value. The derivative of an integral represents the rate of change, whereas evaluating an integral gives the total value of the function over a given interval.

4. How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use tables of integrals or numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the Trapezoidal rule to approximate the value of the integral.

5. What are some real-life applications of the derivative of an integral and evaluating an integral?

The derivative of an integral and evaluating an integral are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. In physics, they are used to calculate the net change in a system over time. In economics and finance, they are used to calculate the total profit or loss over a given period. They are also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.