How to define a solid cyclinder or any solid objects parametrically?

• Thread starter DorumonSg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solid
In summary, the conversation discusses how to define a solid cyclinder or any solid objects parametrically, specifically addressing the issue of properly stretching the shape on the z axis. The equation for a circle is also mentioned, with the distinction between a full circle and a half space (or disk) being explained. The purpose of using a half space in 2D is also questioned.
DorumonSg
How to define a solid cyclinder or any solid objects parametrically?

I can't figure out what do I do with the z axis for example a Cylinder :

x = 0.5*cos(theta)
y = sin(theta)

0*pi <= theta <= 2*pi

This will make an eclipse.

But wad about z?

I know we have to stretch z to the height we want. But how do we do that?

Lets take it I want the height to be 2.

So :

z = t

0 <= t <= 2

But it won't work. Becuz' it only stretches the z axis, infact it not only just stretches the z axis, it stretches the eclipse I defined using x y to the point z = 2 on the z axis.

I can't figure out how to stretch the eclipse properly on the z axis so it becomes a proper solid cyclinder?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and another question.

According to the notes my teacher gave me,

The equation of a circle is r^2 - x^2 - y^2 = 0 where r is the radius.

While the equation for a circle disk(half space) is

r^2 - x^2 - y^2 >= 0

Why is this so? And why does half space mean in 2D?

1. What is a solid cylinder?

A solid cylinder is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is formed by two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is a type of solid object that is commonly found in everyday objects, such as cans, pipes, and wheels.

2. How can a solid cylinder be defined parametrically?

A solid cylinder can be defined parametrically by using mathematical equations that describe the position of points on the surface of the cylinder in terms of one or more parameters. This allows for a precise and systematic way of representing the shape of the cylinder.

3. What are the parameters used to define a solid cylinder?

The parameters used to define a solid cylinder include the radius of the circular base, the height of the cylinder, and the position of the center of the base in three-dimensional space. These parameters can be adjusted to create different sizes and orientations of the cylinder.

4. How does defining a solid cylinder parametrically differ from other methods?

Defining a solid cylinder parametrically is different from other methods, such as using geometric shapes or physical measurements, because it relies on mathematical equations to represent the shape. This allows for more flexibility and precision in defining the cylinder, as well as the ability to easily manipulate its size and orientation.

5. What are some real-world applications of parametrically defining solid objects?

Parametrically defining solid objects, including cylinders, has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. It allows for precise and efficient design of objects, as well as the ability to create complex shapes and surfaces that may not be easily defined using other methods.