Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation

In summary, a person is attempting to create a human-powered helicopter and is seeking an equation to calculate the lift from the rotors. The helicopter will have four counter-rotating rotors with three foam blades each, and each blade will be six feet long with aluminum ribbing. The airfoil profile of the rotors will be needed for a more accurate lift calculation. The individual also asks for any other general information that may be helpful. It is suggested to research and learn from past human-powered helicopter designs and records. Additionally, in the helicopter world, the term "rotary wing" is used instead of "propeller blades".
Flabbyflab
Hello!

I am creating, or at least attempting to create, a human-powered helicopter. I need an equation to figure out the lift from the rotors. I plan to use four counter-rotating rotors, three blades each, and each blade made of foam, with aluminum ribbing. The blades will be six feet each. Any other general information that might help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Flabbyflab said:
Hello!

I am creating, or at least attempting to create, a human-powered helicopter. I need an equation to figure out the lift from the rotors. I plan to use four counter-rotating rotors, three blades each, and each blade made of foam, with aluminum ribbing. The blades will be six feet each. Any other general information that might help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You're going to need to know the airfoil profile to calculate an estimate of the expected lift:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_(force )

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that the "airfoil's " of a helicopter aka the propellor blades' motion through the air actually changes the air pressure by an amount not described anywhere that I can personally find on the internet, yet.

I have the same question as the OP.

Whenever I find someone trying to design and test an experimental system I immediately search for examples of others who have already worked on the same type of system. By studying their work and results the repetition of many of their trials and errors can be avoided. And the successful schemes they discovered may be adopted to your new project. In case you have not yet done so please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_helicopter

“The current world record for human-powered helicopters is held by a craft named Yuri I, built by a team from the Nihon Aero Student Group (NASG).”

http://www.humanpoweredhelicopters.org/yuri1/index.htm

afterthought: By the way, in the helicopter world they are not called "propeller blades". The accepted term is "rotary wing".

Last edited:

Hello! I can provide you with the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation, also known as the Blade Element Theory. This equation takes into account various factors such as rotor speed, blade angle, and air density to calculate the lift generated by your rotor system.

The equation is as follows: Lift = (1/2) * Air Density * Rotor Area * Blade Lift Coefficient * Blade Angle * Rotor Speed^2

In order to obtain accurate results, you will need to determine the values for each variable based on your specific helicopter design. The rotor area can be calculated by multiplying the blade length by the diameter of rotation. The blade lift coefficient can be determined through experimentation or analysis of similar blade designs.

Other factors that may affect the lift generated by your rotor system include the weight of the helicopter, the angle of attack of the blades, and the overall aerodynamics of the helicopter. It is important to consider and account for these factors in your design to ensure optimal lift and flight.

I hope this information helps in your project. Best of luck with your human-powered helicopter!

What is the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation?

The Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the amount of lift force generated by a helicopter's rotor blades. It takes into account factors such as the rotor blade area, air density, and the blade's angle of attack.

How is the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation derived?

The Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation is derived from principles of fluid mechanics and aerodynamics. It is based on Bernoulli's principle, which states that an increase in the speed of a fluid results in a decrease in its pressure.

What is the significance of the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation?

The Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation is crucial in the design and operation of helicopters. It allows engineers to accurately predict the amount of lift force that a helicopter's rotor blades will generate, which is essential for safe and efficient flight.

What factors affect the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation?

The Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation is affected by several factors, including the air density, rotor blade area, blade speed, and angle of attack. Changes in any of these factors can significantly impact the amount of lift force generated by the rotor blades.

Is the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation the only factor determining lift in a helicopter?

No, the Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation is not the only factor determining lift in a helicopter. Other factors such as the weight of the helicopter, its speed, and the angle of the rotor blades also play a significant role in lift generation. The Helicopter Rotor Lift Equation is just one part of the complex aerodynamics of helicopter flight.