Optimizing Laser Beam Expansion for Long-Distance Scanning Applications

In summary, the problem is that you do not know how far away from the scanning mirror the 1 cm line can be created.
moapz
i want to create laser expander, that scan the wall; with 3m x 3m dimension and 50m distance from this expander. and using with two Rotary Prism mirrors; one for "x" movement and another for "y" move.
is there anyone help me.

Science news on Phys.org
This is a fairly standard problem: place the prism surfaces confocal to the focal point of an f-theta lens:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=2961

Then it's all geometry. In fact, there are commercial solutions: look around and copy their design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick said:
This is a fairly standard problem: place the prism surfaces confocal to the focal point of an f-theta lens:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=2961

Then it's all geometry. In fact, there are commercial solutions: look around and copy their design.

thanks andy.
can you introduce reference for optic or laser beam?

moapz said:
thanks andy.
can you introduce reference for optic or laser beam?

I don't understand what you mean.

I have 2 rotary prism-pair mirrors.
first, laser beam illuminate and encounter to first rotary prism mirror (make it like Cone with 5face). it help beam to scan X line. (line width is 1cm)
now this scanned line,reflected to other prism (like cylinder but with face,5face) and this line scanned again for scanning Y axis. and now we have 1x1 rectangle.
i want to magnifying this 1cmx1cm solid picture, by using Correct lenses for presentation. this image should be create in 50m far from this machine. and it's image should be at least 2.5mx2.5m.

i don't have enough knowledge about find focal length or using correct lens for magnifying this picture for create far image !

Last edited:
It's just geometry- for example, you say the scanning mirror generates a 1 cm line, how far from the mirror is the 1 cm line? Clearly, as you get farther and farther away, the size of the line (rectangle) will increase.

What I am asking about is the *divergence* of the scanned beam. Instead of linear sizes, think about the angles- through what angle is the beam scanned?

Andy Resnick said:
It's just geometry- for example, you say the scanning mirror generates a 1 cm line, how far from the mirror is the 1 cm line? Clearly, as you get farther and farther away, the size of the line (rectangle) will increase.

What I am asking about is the *divergence* of the scanned beam. Instead of linear sizes, think about the angles- through what angle is the beam scanned?

sorry,but problem is here. i don't know how far from mirror it can be created.
i saw this project : http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/07/10/home-built-laser-projector/"
can i use "Laser Pointer Pen" (for first try) for laser?
and should i use lens for magnification, for 60m long?

1. What is a laser beam expander and how does it work?

A laser beam expander is an optical device that increases the diameter of a laser beam while maintaining its collimation (meaning the beam remains parallel). It works by using a combination of lenses to magnify the beam and reduce its divergence, resulting in a larger and more collimated beam.

2. When should a laser beam expander be used?

A laser beam expander is typically used when a laser beam needs to be expanded to cover a larger area or when a more collimated beam is required for a specific application. This is often necessary in laser machining, laser cutting, and laser drilling processes.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a laser beam expander?

When selecting a laser beam expander, factors such as the required beam diameter, beam divergence, and wavelength of the laser should be taken into account. It is also important to consider the quality of the lenses and coatings used in the expander, as well as any necessary adjustments or alignment procedures.

4. How can I calculate the magnification of a laser beam expander?

The magnification of a laser beam expander can be calculated by dividing the output beam diameter by the input beam diameter. For example, if the input beam has a diameter of 2 mm and the output beam has a diameter of 10 mm, the magnification would be 10/2 = 5x.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a laser beam expander?

Yes, it is important to follow standard laser safety procedures when using a laser beam expander. This includes wearing appropriate laser safety glasses or goggles and ensuring that the beam is not directed towards any person or reflective surfaces. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the expander to ensure it is functioning properly and safely.