How does the concept of light cones relate to time travel?

In summary, the conversation is about a theoretical concept of time travel and the diagram provided is being used to discuss the idea. The individual is curious about how time would be affected at the speed of light and also considers the Alcubierre Drive theory. They believe that time would slow and eventually reverse while traveling at superluminal speeds, and that it would be impossible to determine what point in time they would end up in.
d.smith292
This is a conversational post, I am looking for others opinions on the diagram below related to time travel. If it is in the wrong room, please move it to the appropriate location. Thank you. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

[URL]http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/dsmith292/SpaceTimeChart-1.png[/URL]

This post is completely theoretical and I am looking for other peoples views on the topic at hand.

Using the diagram above, I invision the top cone flowing, constantly, into the lower cone. The flowing motion would be time. I then place me at the origin of the two cones, I don't move up or down, I stay in one position. My speed is measured by the slope in which I am on. The speed of light is on a slope equaled to one. The confusing part to me is, I thought at the speed of light, time would come to a halt. According to the diagram time still moves because the slope of c is 1. Time doesn't stop until you reach a slope of zero.

My next thought is, using the Alcubierre Drive theory. If were to place ourselves in a huge bubble and actually make it past the speed of light and into the realm of the unknown. This is a huge gap between reality and the past. My theory is that this would be a huge worm hole. I believe we wouldn't be able to survive this stage of travel without being inside of a bubble for protection. Also i believe that during this worm hole, the smooth flowing motion of the cones from top to bottom will slow like a huge ship slamming itself from drive to reverse. I believe it will begin to slow after we pass light speed and completely stop when we reach the x axis. And then it will start flowing in reverse, from bottom to top.

I also feel that we wouldn't be able to determine what part of time we ended up in. It would just start where we left off and we would view our lives in reverse.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
d.smith292 said:
Using the diagram above, I invision the top cone flowing, constantly, into the lower cone. The flowing motion would be time. I then place me at the origin of the two cones, I don't move up or down, I stay in one position.
That's not how light cones work--light cones are defined relative to individual events, not relative to objects or observers. The future light cone of some event E consists of all other events that could receive a signal from E which travels at the speed of light or less, and the past light cone consists of all other events that could send a signal to E which travels at the speed of light or less. Each point on your worldline is a different event (like you seeing a clock reading T=10 seconds and you seeing a clock reading T=11 seconds), and thus has a different past and future light cone. If you draw your worldline on the above diagram, it would look like a curve or straight line--if the diagram was showing your rest frame, it would just be a straight line parallel to the vertical time axis, like the line labeled "no movement" on the diagram. Each event on your worldline would occur at a different time and would thus have a different vertical height on the diagram.

Last edited:

What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a non-linear fashion. It involves traveling to the past or future, either physically or through the manipulation of time and space.

Is time travel possible?

Currently, time travel is not possible according to our current understanding of physics. However, some theories, such as Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, suggest that time travel may be possible in the future with advancements in technology and understanding of the laws of physics.

How would time travel affect the present?

If time travel were possible, it could potentially have major consequences for the present. It could create paradoxes and alter the course of history. The butterfly effect, where small changes in the past can have significant impacts on the present, would also come into play.

What are the ethical implications of time travel?

The ethical implications of time travel are vast and complex. It raises questions about altering the past, changing the course of history, and potentially creating alternate timelines. It also raises concerns about the impact on individuals and societies.

Are there any evidence or examples of time travel?

There is currently no scientific evidence or examples of time travel. However, there are various theories and concepts that explore the possibility of time travel, such as wormholes and the theory of parallel universes. Some people also claim to have experienced time travel through dreams or other altered states of consciousness, but these claims are not scientifically proven.