Information Theory: Beyond the Standard Model

In summary: Zurek/In summary, there is disagreement among those who study information theory beyond the Standard model about whether information is a fundamental property of the universe. Some argue that information is fundamental, while others argue that it is not.
Varon
What is the consensus here about Information Theory beyond the Standard model?

The three fundamental theories of the universe, relativity, quantum mechanics, and the second law of thermodynamics all involve limitations on the transfer, accessibility, quantity, or usefulness of information. Relativity forbids the transfer of messages (ordinary information) or particles at faster-than-light speed; the uncertainty principle prohibits quantum particles from having definite speeds and locations at the same time. The second law of thermodynamics fundamentally limits our ability to use energy and information. Perhaps then, we should consider information itself as a fundamental property of the universe, promoting information to a status equal to or perhaps even greater than that afforded energy and its relativistic equivalent, mass?

Why and why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I made some informal criticisms of the idea that information is fundamental http://thecosmist.com/?p=460#comment-23" . I would emphasize two points. First, anything sensible that you can say about "information", in the context of physics, can be translated into statements about "numbers of states". Second, information quantifies the amount of "knowledge" that one entity has of another entity's state, so making it fundamental mixes up ontology and epistemology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Varon, you might find Achim Kempf congenial--a kindred spirit:
I don't mean his 50 papers here http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+Kempf_a/0/1/0/all/0/1
I mean this one recent paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.4354
Spacetime could be simultaneously continuous and discrete in the same way that information can

And also he gave a talk that is available in Pirsa video--often easier to get the ideas from a seminar talk or lecture than by reading.
Google "pirsa Kempf" and you get
http://pirsa.org/09090005/
You also get some series of video lectures on GR and QFT for Cosmology.

Last edited:
Varon said:
The three fundamental theories of the universe, relativity, quantum mechanics, and the second law of thermodynamics
I don't think that the second law of thermodynamics is fundamental. First, it is valid only on the macroscopic level. Second, even on that level, it is only an approximation.

mitchell porter said:
First, anything sensible that you can say about "information", in the context of physics, can be translated into statements about "numbers of states".
I agree. This is why I consider analysis of the physical basis of "counting" important. Ie. we can not just do "information theory" by resorting to continuum probability. We need to get down to intrinsic state counting. Because there may be physical constraints on counting.
mitchell porter said:
mixes up ontology and epistemology.
Why is this a problem per see?

I think it's nature that mixes this up. Essentially the way Zurek put it "what the observer KNOWS, is indistinguishable from what the observer IS".

About what's "fundamental" or not is a different question. I do not think we need fundamental degrees of freedom. THAT kind of "information theory" is IMO not what we need, because it adds nothing new. It's just a reformulation as in "the information theory" of physics ie. an ordinary information theoretic DESCRIPTION of physical models, rather than also the physics of information, which would be a depper perspective that suggest that it's an intrinsic model where the physics constrains the construction of measures and counting.

/Fredrik

1. What is information theory and how does it go beyond the standard model?

Information theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that deals with the quantification and communication of information. The standard model refers to the accepted theory of particle physics, which does not account for the concept of information. Information theory goes beyond the standard model by providing a mathematical framework to analyze and understand the transmission and storage of information in various systems, including physical, biological, and technological systems.

2. What are the main principles of information theory?

The main principles of information theory include the concepts of entropy, information content, and channel capacity. Entropy is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness in a system, information content measures the amount of information in a message, and channel capacity is the maximum rate at which information can be transmitted through a channel without error.

3. How is information theory used in different fields of science?

Information theory has applications in various fields of science, including communication systems, cryptography, neuroscience, and genetics. It is used to analyze and optimize data storage and transmission, create secure communication protocols, and understand the flow of information in the brain and genetic code.

4. Can information theory be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, information theory has practical applications in solving real-world problems. For example, it is used in data compression to reduce the size of data for storage and transmission, and in error correction codes to ensure reliable data transmission over noisy channels. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve decision-making and pattern recognition.

5. What are some current research topics in information theory?

Some current research topics in information theory include quantum information theory, which studies the transmission and processing of quantum information, and network information theory, which deals with the transmission of information over complex networks. Other areas of research include information theory and biology, information-theoretic security, and information theory in statistical inference.