Real world problem - Swing gate actuator forces

In summary, the conversation involves a disagreement between the customer and the supplier of an electric linear actuator for opening gates. The customer questions the suggested configuration, stating that the current configuration would require less force to move the gate and the suggested configuration would limit the gate to a maximum opening angle of 90 degrees. The supplier responds by explaining that their diagrams provide more specific instructions and their suggested configuration would actually require less force to move the gate and allow for the optimal opening angle of 90 degrees. They also mention that the installation guide and measurements provided by the manufacturer are general and may not account for all necessary measurements and specifications for each individual gate installation.
Tmp
This is a very long argument between me and a supplier of a electric linear actuator for opening gates.

In the image below you can see how I currently have the gates configured, and how they are suggesting I have them configured.

251-large.jpg

My question is this...

Would I be correct in saying that the current configuration would require LESS force to move the gate, than their suggested configuration. Also with their configuration you could never open the gate more than 90 degrees. The drawings arn't to scale and I don't know the distance between the hinge and where the actuator connects to the gate. However this distance is governed by the stroke of the actuator and if I were the extend the mounting on the back of the gate as illustrated, I would have to bring it closer to the hinge to account for the fixed length of the actuator. The gates open clockwise on that diagram.

Background...

The gates were constructed by a 3rd party based upon the specifications provided by the manufacturers of the linear actuators. The installation guide can be found here -> http://www.gatemotors.co.uk/PDF/GM_Aster_Installation_Guide.pdf

The measurements A, B & D are referred to several times in this document. D is 50mm and cannot be changed. The actuators I am using are "Aster 4", the bracket used is the one supplied and described in that document.

The company have provided their own installation diagram which seem to contradict the manufacturers instructions. These can be found here http://www.gatemotors.co.uk/page-2-1-10

I'm no genius but surely their suggested solution makes no sense at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
The supplier's response:We understand your confusion. The diagrams provided by the manufacturer are general, which means that they do not take into account all of the necessary measurements and specifications for each individual gate installation. Our diagrams provide more specific instructions regarding the correct mounting of the linear actuator and how to maximize its efficiency. Based on the measurements you have provided, our suggested configuration would require less force to move the gate than the current configuration. Furthermore, our configuration would allow for a maximum opening angle of 90 degrees, which is the optimal opening angle for the linear actuator.

What is a swing gate actuator?

A swing gate actuator is a mechanical device that is used to open and close a swing gate. It is typically powered by an electric motor and can be controlled remotely to allow for easy access to a property.

What are the forces involved in a swing gate actuator?

The forces involved in a swing gate actuator include the force required to overcome the weight of the gate, friction forces, and the force required to accelerate and decelerate the gate. Other forces such as wind resistance may also need to be considered depending on the location of the gate.

How do you calculate the required force for a swing gate actuator?

The required force for a swing gate actuator can be calculated by considering the weight of the gate, the distance from the hinge to the center of gravity, and the desired acceleration and deceleration time. It is also important to factor in any external forces such as wind resistance or snow load that the gate may encounter.

What are the safety considerations when designing a swing gate actuator?

Safety is an important factor to consider when designing a swing gate actuator. It is crucial to ensure that the actuator is strong enough to support the weight of the gate and that it is installed correctly to prevent accidents. Additionally, safety features such as sensors and emergency stop buttons should be incorporated to prevent any potential hazards.

How can the efficiency of a swing gate actuator be improved?

The efficiency of a swing gate actuator can be improved by using high-quality materials, proper installation, and regular maintenance. Additionally, incorporating energy-saving features such as adjustable speed settings and standby modes can also help to improve efficiency.