Can You Distinguish a Vacuum State in Different Color Laser Pulses?

In summary, it is speculated that when a vacuum state is substituted for a dim laser pulse, the physical difference between sending zero photons and sending no photons is not clear. It is also speculated that the vacuum state might not have any observable differences between red and green laser pulses.
phonon44145
Can you send a light pulse consisting of |n=0> , e.e. vacuum state, and what is the physical difference between sending zero photons and sending no photons?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think there is a difference? I'm not aware of any. You can't "not send" the vacuum, it's already there.

All articles about quantum information exchange talk at length about the possibility of one party (an adversary) intercepting a dim laser pulse and substituting the signal with a vacuum state. So does ""substituting a vacuum state" mean that the adversary will modify the signal and resend it, or does it mean that he just puts a reflecting mirror on the way of the pulse and shuts down the communication channel?
Am I correct to assume that since the vacuum state has energy, propagation of this state through space is not the same as the absence of any signaling?

I can't see that any current theory of physics can distinguish sending a vacuum state from not sending anything at all. Replacing a dim laser with a vacuum state sounds like blocking the laser to me, but maybe there is some distinction that quantum field theory can make. Perhaps someone more of an expert in QFT can say if there's something I'm overlooking, but it sounds like pretty speculative science to me.

Should it be possible to have a photon-number resolving detector (n'th outcome = n photons) and then to have the pulse blocked for any n not equal to zero? Would such an apparatus provide for an experimental realization of "vacuum state substitution"?

A separate question. Does the vacuum state mean the vanishing of all observables (energy, polarization) as well as phase exp(i*delta)? That is, will the admixture of |n=0> state in a red laser pulse be physically different from the same admixture of |n=0> state in a green laser pulse?

1. What is a |n=0> photon number state?

A |n=0> photon number state refers to a quantum state in which there are no photons present in a given system. This state is often used as a reference state for comparison with other states that contain a specific number of photons.

2. How is a |n=0> photon number state created?

A |n=0> photon number state can be created by removing all photons from a system through a process known as photon annihilation. This can be done using specialized equipment, such as beam splitters and detectors, in a controlled environment.

3. What is the significance of the |n=0> photon number state in quantum mechanics?

The |n=0> photon number state is significant in quantum mechanics as it serves as a reference state for other photon number states. It also helps to illustrate the concept of quantization in quantum physics, where energy is not continuous but exists in discrete units.

4. Can a |n=0> photon number state exist in nature?

Yes, a |n=0> photon number state can exist in nature. In fact, most systems in the universe have a |n=0> photon number state as their ground state, meaning it is the lowest energy state of the system.

5. How is a |n=0> photon number state measured?

A |n=0> photon number state can be indirectly measured by detecting the absence of photons in a given system. This can be done using a variety of techniques, such as optical detection methods or photoelectric effect measurements.