Melting Ice with Tape: Exploring Chemical/Electric Solutions

In summary, a thin sticker is applied to the face of the blade that is in close proximity to the tape. When in close proximity with the tape, it creates heat on the tape.
FireScript
Lets say I have some tape with powder copper inside the glue of the tape (doesn't have to be copper). The goal is to heat the tape so that its capable of melting small amounts of ice on the surface of the tape. The tape is wrapped around a surface about 3" tall 1/4" thick and 8" wide. On the surface and under the tape is a very thin pad containing the "stuff" that needs to heat up the powder copper glue mix which heats up the tape itself, then melting the ice.

Any Ideas on what this substance could be and how it would work? Possibly a small electric current that could be created? Chemical reactions? The heat needs to last for one hour.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see why there needs to be anything in the glue of the tape. You could tape some of those heating pads you stick in gloves to whatever you need to heat up.

Why don't you just tell us the bigger picture of what you are trying to accomplish and we'll see if we can help you find a solution. This is too much like a bunch of blind men describing an elephant.

The goal is to create heat on the outside of the tape. The tape would be used on a hockey stick blade. To prevent ice build up. The weight and size is a huge factor as you obviously can't have a giant heat pad under neath the tape of your stick. I'm looking for way to create a prototype of this idea.

I figured a thin sticker stuck to the face of the blade, also spanning the whole width of the blade and height. When in close proximity with the tape ( which is applied directly on top of the thin sticker ) creates heat on the tape. Or a small electric current that is capable of warming the blade and tape so that ice will melt. Another idea is have some kind of chemical or substance that is with in the tape, then you have a solution you apply to the face of your blade before you go on the ice. This solution when mixed with the other creates heat which would prevent ice and decrease friction.

I guess I am looking for a little direction, or reasons why its not very dependable, safe, efficient anything helps.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
You might have better luck with chemical treatments rather than heat. Dip your stick in saltwater? :smile:

I like the way you think. :)

Well, they already make hockey tape that is sticky on both sides. You could find a way to adhear a thin layer of salt on the outside of the tape. Some people rub wax on their stick blade after it has been taped in order to help try to protect the tape. Perhaps you could create a wax/salt stick that could be rubbed on which would help both to protect the tape and also to prevent ice accumulation.

When he replied, that was my thought. Only I was thinking a spray.. but yes very similar idea. Its a cool idea and will try to implement it into a prototype..

Would you think a spray or almost like deodorant stick would be better? I think a spray would be cool because of the fact its quick and covers the whole area evenly.

How would you go about making a wax that's liquid under pressure but when it hits air it solidifies? lol just a thought..

I was not aware that ice buildup on hockey sticks was a problem. Where is the ice buildup the worst and why?

The blade of the stick.. From collecting snow while moving the puck, it eventually freezes.

Would a water repellent coating do the job? If the snow or water doesn't stay on the blade, it can't freeze.

I don't know what coating material would survive the impacts from playing the game without damage, though.

FireScript said:
The blade of the stick.. From collecting snow while moving the puck, it eventually freezes.

Ok, that's what I was thinking.

AlephZero said:
Would a water repellent coating do the job? If the snow or water doesn't stay on the blade, it can't freeze.

I don't know what coating material would survive the impacts from playing the game without damage, though.

That's a cool thought, what chemical is used in water repellant?

FireScript said:
That's a cool thought, what chemical is used in water repellant?
Well, WD-40...

:) you do not cease to amaze me.

Thanks bobby!

CAUTION! I forgot to mention that many of those deicing chemicals are toxic! Meaning they are poisonous to humans. Please use prudence if you plan to try to use them in a hockey game. Check with the coach, the school adminstrators, or other competent scientists for guidance. You could possibly poison someone (if they licked the hockey stick blade) and may become liable!

No worries, I plan on staying green friendly as much as I can.

What is "Melting Ice with Tape: Exploring Chemical/Electric Solutions"?

"Melting Ice with Tape: Exploring Chemical/Electric Solutions" is a scientific experiment that investigates different ways to melt ice using chemical and electric solutions. It involves using various types of tape, such as duct tape and electrical tape, to create a barrier around ice cubes and then applying different substances or electric currents to see which one is most effective in melting the ice.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to explore different methods of melting ice and to understand the science behind them. It can also help to identify the most efficient and effective ways to melt ice, which can have practical applications in various industries, such as food preservation and transportation.

How does tape play a role in melting ice?

Tape is used in this experiment as a barrier to contain the ice cubes and the substances or electric currents being applied. The tape also helps to create a controlled environment for the experiment, as it prevents the substances from spilling or the electric currents from dispersing.

What types of substances are used in this experiment?

The substances used in this experiment may vary, but some common examples include salt, sugar, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. These substances are known to have properties that can affect the melting point of ice, and they are often used in real-life scenarios to melt ice, such as on roads and sidewalks.

What are some potential safety precautions when conducting this experiment?

Some potential safety precautions when conducting this experiment include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the substances or electric currents. It is also important to handle all materials with caution and to have adult supervision, as some substances may be harmful if ingested or if they come into contact with skin or eyes.