Calculating a metric from a norm and inner product.

In summary, the conversation discusses the supremum of |1 - x| and its dependence on the interval [a, b]. The solution is verified and the question about relating it to the unit circle is discussed. Q1, Q2, and Q3 are also mentioned in relation to the problem.
jdinatale
I typed the problem in latex and will add comments below each image.

norm1.png

The supremum of |1 - x| seems dependent on the interval [a, b]. For instance, if [a, b] = [-500, 1], then 501 is the supremum of |1 - x|. But if [a, b] = [-1, 500], then 499 is the supremum of [1 - x]. So what should I say?

norm2.png

For this one, I'm not sure if I did it correctly. So could someone just verify that my solution is correct?

norm3.png

I'm really not sure how to do this one. I'm trying to relate it to the unit circle from trigonometry, but that had an x and y coordinate...For this one, would I just choose sample points (1, 0), (0, 1), (-1, 0), and (0, -1) and sketch the norm at each of these? But the norm only takes 1 value, not two...

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1. C([0,1])="the function space of continuous functions defined on the interval [0,1]" so [0,1] is fixed, you cannot shift it around.

Q2. last step is wrong.

Q3. a Ball={set of all x in ? such that Norm(x-0)<=radius"} it is implied in the question what ? is.

xaos said:
Q1. C([0,1])="the function space of continuous functions defined on the interval [0,1]" so [0,1] is fixed, you cannot shift it around.

Q2. last step is wrong.

Q3. a Ball={set of all x in ? such that Norm(x-0)<=radius"} it is implied in the question what ? is.

thank you, i have the problem complete now!

1. What is a metric?

A metric is a mathematical function that quantifies the distance between two points in a given space. It is used to measure the similarity or dissimilarity between objects or data sets.

2. How do you calculate a metric from a norm and inner product?

To calculate a metric, you first need to define a norm and an inner product for the given space. The norm measures the size or length of a vector, while the inner product measures the angle between two vectors. Once you have these two components, the metric can be calculated using the formula: d(x,y) = √[⟨x-y, x-y⟩], where x and y are vectors in the given space.

3. What is the difference between a norm and an inner product?

A norm is a function that assigns a positive value to a vector, representing its length or size. An inner product is a function that takes two vectors as inputs and returns a scalar value, representing the angle between the two vectors. In other words, a norm measures the magnitude of a vector, while an inner product measures the relationship between two vectors.

4. Why is it important to calculate a metric from a norm and inner product?

Calculating a metric from a norm and inner product allows us to measure the distance between objects or data sets in a given space. This is useful in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science, as it enables us to quantify the similarity or dissimilarity between different entities and make comparisons.

5. Can a metric be calculated in any space?

No, a metric can only be calculated in a space that has a defined norm and inner product. These components are necessary for the metric formula to work and produce meaningful results. Different spaces may have different norms and inner products, leading to different metrics for the same set of objects or data.