Why Does Salt Spray Out of Water in a Shaker Experiment?

In summary, a saturated solution of salt will cause crystals to grow on the surface, causing the solution to rise above the surface of the container.
papajo
I have done a small experiment I dissolved salt into normal tap water using a shaker...

I put as much salt as the specific quantity of water could dissolve no more no less...

I left the cup there for a while and after some time I saw that salt was spreading ABOVE the water level and OUTSIDE of the glass...

how could this be possible?

EDIT: If you are not sure either forward this to a physics guy maybe he knows something too.. :P

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think this happened because a super saturated solution so any vibration or any touch percipient the amount of solution that got dissolved.

Not sure what you mean. If the solution is saturated and it starts to evaporate (it does it all the time) there is nothing strange in crystals growing on the surface, especially when the solution is not mixed. After all it is the surface where the solution becomes supersaturated.

I am talking about a saturated mixture.. I am talking about salt appearing NOT >ON< the surface.. but ABOVE it on the inside glass walls (of the cup) and eventually on the outside aswell... its like small salt particles defining gravity or like bacteria spreading but in a much faster rate :P

Just try and do it yourself using a mixer or a shaker or whatever starurate the water with salt pu it on a glass cup and leave it there for some hours its cheap and easy no special safety measurments or gear are nessecary

I don't have to, I know the process - it just wasn't clear to me what you were referring to.

Solution goes up the walls thanks to the surface tension. Once it is on the wall, it has a large surface/volume ratio, so it dries much faster than in the bulk of the solution. When it dries, it leaves solid salt on the wall. Presence on the solid salt on the wall above the solution means solution is wicked up even faster than in the clean wall, and dries easily on the already existing salt surface.

If I understood your description right then this should create a ring or a belt of salt just above the surface of the solution..

I am talking about salt signs a few CM higher than the surface (On the inner walls of the glass) and on the OUTER walls of the glass its like it crawls up in streams similary to liquid helium

Note: I used a shaker and shaked the mixture in a very intense way for a few minutes, also the signs may start to show up within few hours but to completely see the salt on the outside of the glasswalls you have to wait 1-3 days

+ (I don't know if that matters) my mixture had filled the 3.5/4 of the glass I used

What is "Dissolved salt sprays out of the water"?

"Dissolved salt sprays out of the water" refers to the phenomenon where salt particles in a body of water become aerosolized and are released into the air.

What causes dissolved salt to spray out of the water?

This phenomenon is primarily caused by wind and wave action on the surface of the water, which creates small droplets that contain dissolved salt. These droplets can then be carried by the wind and released into the air.

Is this process harmful to the environment?

The spraying of dissolved salt out of the water is a natural process and is not harmful to the environment. In fact, it plays an important role in maintaining the balance of salt in our oceans.

Can dissolved salt sprays be harmful to human health?

In most cases, the amount of dissolved salt in these sprays is too small to cause any harm to human health. However, individuals with respiratory issues such as asthma may experience irritation if they inhale a large amount of these sprays.

How does this process impact weather patterns?

The release of dissolved salt into the air can have a small impact on weather patterns, as it can contribute to cloud formation and affect the reflection of sunlight. However, other factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure have a much greater influence on weather patterns.