Flexural rigidity, what does high flexural rigidity mean?

• Thread starter chris_usyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation was about the results of a steel beam experiment and the conclusions that can be made from it. The experiment involved examining the stiffness of the beam through two types of deformation - deflection and curvature. The value of EI (flexural rigidity) was calculated by plotting mid-span moment against curvature. However, there were some discrepancies in the values and further comparisons were needed. The conversation also touched on the assumptions made in calculating EI and the different units involved in the experiment.
chris_usyd

Homework Statement

simply put, i got 2.1E+10 N.mm^5 for my steel beam experiment?
but i am wonder, what conclusions can i make?

2. The attempt at a solution
from online resouce, flexural rigidity is defined as the force couple required to bend a rigid structure to a unit curvature.
so , the higher EI, the better? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Not necessarily better, but the higher the EI, the stiffer the beam, and the harder it will be to bend. Actually, definition not withstanding, the stiffness depends not only on EI, but also the length of the beam and its end conditions. What was your experiment? The units don't make sense.

units?
yeah, i am confused as well.
isnt N.mm^2? since E(N/mm^2) I(mm^4)
the experiment is to examining the stiffness of a steel beam through 2 types of deformation-deflection and curvature..
now i am writing the discussion part, but not many things to be mentioned.

but i got different values..
so also need some comparisons.

by the way, jay, "what are the assumptions in calculating EI that may not be strictly true??"
i can't even find one
you know, by deflection, i plotted the mid-span moment(M) against the curvature(K). because M=EIk, the slope is the value of EI.
i think it is perfect..

EI has units (N/mm^2)(mm^4) = N*mm^2

Curvature k is EI/M and has units of mm.

I am not surewhat you are measuring in your experiment...deflection, stress, curvature?...and what you are trying to calculate.

If you have a simply supported beam of length L with a concentrated load P at L/2, then M_max = PL/4 at midpoint, and max deflection is PL^3/48EI at that point, in theory.

1. What is flexural rigidity?

Flexural rigidity is a measure of a material's resistance to bending. It is a property that describes how much force is needed to bend a material without permanently deforming it.

2. How is flexural rigidity measured?

Flexural rigidity is typically measured using a three-point bending test, where a sample is placed on two supports and a load is applied at the center. The amount of deflection caused by the load is then measured and used to calculate the flexural rigidity.

3. What factors affect the flexural rigidity of a material?

The flexural rigidity of a material is affected by its modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, and length. Materials with higher modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia tend to have higher flexural rigidity, while longer materials have lower flexural rigidity.

4. Why is high flexural rigidity desirable?

High flexural rigidity is desirable because it indicates that a material is strong and resistant to bending. This property is particularly important in structural applications, where materials need to be able to support loads without breaking or buckling.

5. How does high flexural rigidity benefit different industries?

High flexural rigidity is beneficial in a variety of industries, such as construction, aerospace, and automotive. In construction, it allows for the creation of sturdy buildings and bridges. In aerospace, it enables the design of strong and lightweight aircraft. In the automotive industry, it contributes to the durability and safety of vehicles.