Atmospheric Pressure & Boiling Point of Water: 20 C

In summary, the atmospheric pressure needs to be about 25 mbar to make the boiling point of water 20 C. This can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the purity of the water and assumes basic algebra knowledge. Impurities, such as salt, can affect the boiling point of water and require a chemical process to break the hydrogen bonds.
ybhathena
What does the atmospheric pressure have to be to make the boiling point of water 20 C?

Physics news on Phys.org

Google "Clausius-Clapeyron equation" and apply it...

Oh ok that seems to be what I need. Its a little bit advanced, could you explain the general idea of how to use this formula? I am a bit new

Hmm... Well that would be a very involved answer. You should be able to handle it if you know basic algebra. I'm assuming you were given the values to plug in. Also it assumes that it's pure water. Impurities such as salt require the chemical process to first break the hydrogen bonds making water boil at a higher temperature.

I did it for you quickly and got an an answer of 18,900m rounded.

Edit: Actually that can't be correct. That's the limit where water boils at the internal temperature of a human, 37 C. I must have messed up my arithmetic.

Last edited:

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a unit area. It is commonly measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect the boiling point of water?

As atmospheric pressure increases, the boiling point of water also increases. This is because the higher pressure pushes down on the water molecule, making it more difficult for them to escape into the air as vapor. This results in a higher temperature needed for the water to reach its boiling point.

3. What is the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level?

The standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is 101.325 kilopascals (kPa) or 1 atmosphere (atm). This is equivalent to 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi) or 760 millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

4. What is the boiling point of water at 20°C?

The boiling point of water at 20°C is 100°C or 212°F. This is the standard boiling point at sea level, where the atmospheric pressure is 1 atm.

5. How does altitude affect the boiling point of water?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases, resulting in a lower boiling point of water. This is because there is less pressure pushing down on the water molecules, making it easier for them to escape into the air as vapor. For every 300 meters increase in altitude, the boiling point of water decreases by approximately 1°C.