Integrate sqrt ( 4 -x^2)dx

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the integral for sqrt(4-x^2)dx. Several ideas are suggested, including making the substitution x/2 = cos(theta) and using the double angle identity. It is ultimately determined that using integration by parts with u = sqrt(4-x^2) and dv = dx is the best approach, resulting in the final answer of x*sqrt(4-x^2) + 2arcsin(x/2) + C.
Naeem
Hi,

Can anyone help me integrate :

Integral sqrt ( 4 - x^2) dx

Some ideas:

Make a subsitution x2 = cos (theta)

Taking the derivative of both sides:

2x = - sin (theta).d(theta)

or...

Double angle identity:

(Cosx)^2 = 1 + cos2x / 2

Can anybody give some ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Trigonometrically: x = 2cos(theta), or 2sin(theta), not [tex] x^2 = 2cos(theta) [/tex]

You can't use the double angle identity without making that substitution, so its not really 'or' is it :)

You might be able to do it by parts with u = sqrt(4-x^2) and dv = dx.

By parts will work.

[tex]\int udv = uv - \int{vdu}[/tex]

Let u = [itex]\sqrt{4-x^2}[/itex]
And du = [tex]\frac{2x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}}[/tex]

Let dv = dx
And v = x

[tex]\int \sqrt{4-x^2}dx = x\sqrt{4-x^2} - \int\frac{2x^2}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx[/tex]

Hope that helps.

I don't see any reason for a double angle. If you factor out that 4 you get
[tex]\sqrt{4- x^2}= 2\sqrt{1- \frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]. And anytime you see something like that you should think "[tex]\sqrt{1- cos^2x}= sin x[/tex]" (or "[tex]\sqrt{1- sin^2x}= cos x[/tex]").

Let [tex]cos(\theta)= \frac{x}{2}[/tex] or [2 cos(\theta)= x[/tex] so that
[tex]-2sin(\theta)dx= dx[/tex]. Then [tex]\integral \sqrt{4-x^2}dx= 2\integral \sqrt{1- (\frac{x}{2})^2}dx= -4\integral\sqrt{1- cos^2\theta}sin \theta d\theta= -4\integral sin^2 \theta d\theta[/tex].

That last integral you can do using [tex]sin^2 \theta= \frac{1}{2}(1- cos \theta)[/tex].
Well, by golly, you do need a double angle!

Jameson said:
By parts will work.

And du = [tex]\frac{2x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}}[/tex] $
Let dv = dx
And v = x

[tex]\int \sqrt{4-x^2}dx = x\sqrt{4-x^2} - \int\frac{2x^2}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx[/tex]

Hope that helps.

U missed a "-" (=minus) when computing the marked differential.Not to mention the "dx".

Daniel.

You're right. The "dx's" aren't as critical as the minus was... here's the corrected integral.
------------------

And du = [tex]\frac{-2x}{2\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx[/tex]

Let dv = dx
And v = x

[tex]\int \sqrt{4-x^2}dx = x\sqrt{4-x^2} + \int\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently u forgot about it,again.It should have been

[tex] (...)+\int \frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{4-x^{2}}} \ dx [/tex]

,where the 2-s got simplified through.

Daniel.

Oh, alright. Sorry I didn't see it before. I didn't catch what you were referring to. I'll edit my previous post... hope I get it right this time.

And the last integral can be calculated again by parts...

Daniel.

Right. I was hoping the original poster would comment again before I did too many steps.

I did this problem using Halls of Ivy idea, i.e substitution, and I got

Integral sqrt( 4 -x^2)dx = -2 Integral ( 1-cos ( theta ) dtheta =
= -2[ Integral dtheta - Integral cos(theta)dtheta ]
= -2 ( theta - sin (theta) + C
= -2 ( cos-1 (x/2) - sin ... what do I put theta as here)...

Naeem said:
= -2 ( cos-1 (x/2) - sin ... what do I put theta as here)...

You know that [tex]\sin{\theta}=\sqrt{1-\cos^2{\theta}}[/tex], right? Does that help?

then. theta for the second part would be

theta = arcsin sqrt ( 1- x^2/4)...

[tex]\int \sqrt{4-x^2}dx [/tex]

[tex] u = \sqrt{4-x^2}, du = \frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx, v = x, dv = dx [/tex]

x = 2sin(t)
dx = 2cos(t) dt

The integral on the RHS becomes:

[tex] \int \frac{8cos(t)sin^2(t)}{\sqrt{4-4sin^2(t)}}dt = \int \frac{8cos(t)sin^2(t)}{2\sqrt{cos^2(t)}}dt = \int \frac{8cos(t)sin^2(t)}{2cos(t)}}dt = 4\int{sin^2(t)}{dt}[/tex]

From there use the trig identity[tex] sin^2(t) = \frac{1-2cos(t)}{2} [/tex]

[tex] 2\int{1-cos(2t)}{dt} = 2t - 2\int{cos2t}{dt} = 2t - sin(2t)[/tex]

From x = 2sin(t), t = arcsin(x/2).

[tex]2(arcsin(x/2)-sin(2)) [/tex]

Since sin(2) is constant it can be omitted and

[tex] \int \sqrt{4-x^2}dx = x\sqrt{4-x^2} + 2arcsin(x/2) [/tex]

Is Halls of Ivy method wrong then

When I evaluate the integral on the LHS on maple it tells me that the first term on the RHS should be divided by 2.

Can anyone figure this out?

Maple is correct (up to a constant he never considers :wink:).

[tex] \int \sqrt{4-x^{2}} \ dx =2 \arcsin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+2\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2}} + C =2 \arcsin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{4-x^{2}} + C [/tex]

Daniel.

So you square the 1/2 and put it inside making it 1-(x/2)^2. But why does it still have 4 - x^2?

You lost me.

Well,when reversing the substitution u end up with

[tex] 2\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2}} [/tex]

which used to stand for [itex] \sin 2u =2 \sin u \ \cos u [/tex]

U know algebra,so how about work that square & square roots...?

Daniel.

The fact that there are different ways of doing a problem does not mean that any of them is wrong!

The original problem was Integral sqrt ( 4 - x^2) dx [tex]\integral \sqrt{4-x^2}dx[/tex]

Let [tex]2 sin(\theta)= x[/tex] so that 2 cos(\theta)= dx. [tex]\sqrt{4- x^2}= \sqrt{4- 4sin^2(\theta)}= 2 cos(\theta)[/tex]. The integral becomes [tex]4 \int cos^2(\theta)d\theta= 2 \int (1+ cos(2\theta))d\theta = 2\theta+ sin(2\theta)[/tex].
Now, go back to x.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's fine.

Here:

[tex]\int \sqrt{4-x^2} \ dx = \int -2\sin \theta \sqrt{4 - 4\cos^2 \theta} \ dx = -4 \int \sin^2 \theta \ dx = -2\int 1 - \cos 2\theta \ d\theta = -2\theta + \sin 2\theta + C = -2\arccos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) + 2\sin \theta \cos \theta+C [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{x}{2}\sqrt{4-x^2} - 2\arccos \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)+C [/tex]

this is an equivalent answer (it differs only from those above by a constant). Note that here [itex]2\cos \theta = x[/itex].

Last edited:
oops, didn't notice the second page!

Here's another way to do it,if u have the patience (:tongue2:).A mathematician should.

Make the obvious substitution

[tex] \frac{x}{2}=\tanh u [/tex]

and go from there...

Daniel.

whozum said:
[tex]\int \sqrt{4-x^2}dx [/tex]

[tex] u = \sqrt{4-x^2}, du = \frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx, v = x, dv = dx [/tex]

x = 2sin(t)
dx = 2cos(t) dt

The integral on the RHS becomes:

[tex] \int \frac{8cos(t)sin^2(t)}{\sqrt{4-4sin^2(t)}}dt = \int \frac{8cos(t)sin^2(t)}{2\sqrt{cos^2(t)}}dt = \int \frac{8cos(t)sin^2(t)}{2cos(t)}}dt = 4\int{sin^2(t)}{dt}[/tex]

From there use the trig identity[tex] sin^2(t) = \frac{1-2cos(t)}{2} [/tex]

[tex] 2\int{1-cos(2t)}{dt} = 2t - 2\int{cos2t}{dt} = 2t - sin(2t)[/tex]

From x = 2sin(t), t = arcsin(x/2).

[tex]2(arcsin(x/2)-sin(2)) [/tex]

Since sin(2) is constant it can be omitted and

at the very end, how come sin2t becomes a sin2?
If you substitute t=arcsin(x/2) into sin2t, don't we get sin(2arcsin(x/2))?
how could that come out to be sin2?

Can someone please help me? THX!

1. What is the formula for integrating sqrt(4-x^2)dx?

The formula for integrating sqrt(4-x^2)dx is (1/2)(x√(4-x^2) + 2sin^-1(x/2)) + C.

2. How do you solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2)dx?

To solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2)dx, you can use the trigonometric substitution method. Let x = 2sinθ, then dx = 2cosθdθ. Substituting these values into the integral, you will get ∫sqrt(4-x^2)dx = ∫2cosθ * 2cosθdθ = ∫4cos^2θdθ. Using the double angle formula, cos^2θ = (1/2)(1+cos2θ), the integral becomes ∫2(1+cos2θ)dθ. From here, you can integrate and substitute back in the original variable x to get the final solution.

3. Can you explain the concept of integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used to solve integrals by substituting a variable in the integral with a new variable. This new variable should make the integral simpler to solve. The substitution is usually based on a trigonometric function, such as in the case of sqrt(4-x^2)dx where x = 2sinθ is substituted. After substituting, you can use algebraic or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and solve for the new variable. Finally, you can substitute back in the original variable to get the final solution.

4. Is there a specific rule for integrating square root functions?

Yes, there is a specific rule for integrating square root functions, which is called the power rule for integration. The power rule states that the integral of x^n is equal to (1/(n+1))x^(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This rule can be applied to the integral of sqrt(4-x^2)dx by first rewriting it as (4-x^2)^1/2 and then using the power rule to solve for the new variable.

5. Can you show me an example of solving the integral of sqrt(4-x^2)dx?

Sure, let's solve the integral of sqrt(4-x^2)dx using the trigonometric substitution method. Let x = 2sinθ, then dx = 2cosθdθ. Substituting these values into the integral, you will get ∫sqrt(4-x^2)dx = ∫2cosθ * 2cosθdθ = ∫4cos^2θdθ. Using the double angle formula, cos^2θ = (1/2)(1+cos2θ), the integral becomes ∫2(1+cos2θ)dθ = 2(θ + (1/2)sin2θ) + C. Substituting back the original variable x, the final solution is (1/2)(x√(4-x^2) + 2sin^-1(x/2)) + C.