How Do You Sum a Series Using Sigma Notation and Identities?

I think i figured it out.In summary, the given expression can be written in sigma notation as ∑(6n-1)^2 where n goes from 1 to 3k. Using the sigma identities, the sum can be solved as 3n(108n^2 +36n +1). The difficulty in determining the bounds for the sigma notation can be resolved by setting the bounds as n goes from 1 to 3k.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

(5^2) + (11^2) + (17^2) +...+ (18n-1)^2

a)Write the sum in sigma notation
b)Using the sigma identities solve the sum (easy to do)

Homework Equations

∑i = .5*k*(k+1) etc

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is with the 25 and 121. I thought it was

∑ (6n-1)^2

where n goes from 1 to k,
but I noticed that this does not work for part b then.
I haven't done induction in 4 years, so unfortunately I forget.

Unless it isn't from 1 to k, but from 1 to 3k

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:

Homework Statement

(5^2) + (11^2) + (17^2) +...+ (18n-1)^2

a)Write the sum in sigma notation
b)Using the sigma identities solve the sum (easy to do)

Homework Equations

∑i = .5*k*(k+1) etc

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is with the 25 and 121. I thought it was

∑ (6n-1)^2

I haven't done induction in 4 years, so unfortunately I forget.

Unless it isn't from 1 to k, but from 1 to 3k
How about each term is of the form (6k - 1)^2 ...

Then k has k go from 1 to ___ . (Fill in the blank.)

Liquidxlax said:
∑ (6n-1)^2
Yes
It doesn't? I don't see your difficulty. Please post your working up to where you're stuck.

haruspex said:
Yes
It doesn't? I don't see your difficulty. Please post your working up to where you're stuck.

yeah it does go from 1 to 3k, not 1 to k because it needs to be for part b equal to

3n(108n^2 +36n +1)

Where i was stuck was knowing the bounds

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about a set of integers or other well-ordered structures. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for a starting case, and it can be proven that if it is true for any case, then it must be true for the next case as well. This process is repeated until the statement can be proven for all cases.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

To use mathematical induction, we start by proving that a statement is true for a starting case, typically n = 0 or n = 1. This is known as the base case. Then, we assume that the statement is true for an arbitrary case, usually n = k. This is known as the inductive hypothesis. Using this assumption and some mathematical manipulation, we prove that the statement is also true for the next case, n = k + 1. This completes the inductive step. By repeating this process, we can prove that the statement is true for all cases.

3. What is the difference between mathematical induction and strong induction?

The difference between mathematical induction and strong induction lies in the inductive step. In mathematical induction, we only use the assumption that the statement is true for n = k. However, in strong induction, we use the assumption that the statement is true for all cases up to n = k. This allows us to make a stronger inductive step, but we must also prove that the statement is true for the starting case.

4. What types of statements can be proven using mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can be used to prove statements about integers, such as equalities, inequalities, and divisibility. It can also be used to prove statements about other well-ordered structures, such as trees and graphs. In general, mathematical induction is used to prove statements that follow a pattern or have a recursive structure.

5. Are there any limitations to mathematical induction?

While mathematical induction is a powerful tool for proving statements, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to prove statements that follow a clear pattern or have a recursive structure. It also cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers or continuous functions. Furthermore, the base case and inductive step must be carefully chosen and proven in order for the proof to be valid.