Recommend any good Condensed Matter Physics books please?

In summary, the conversation is requesting recommendations for a good undergraduate-level Condensed Matter Physics book with concise explanations and examples. The person has tried books by Kittel, Ashcroft/Mermin, and Dove but struggled to get into them. Another person suggests "Hellwege, Einfuehrung in die Festkoerperphysik" in German for its examples on magnetism. Another book, "Solid State Physics" by Phillip Hoffman, is also mentioned.
Brynjolf
Hi all. Can anyone please recommend me a good undergraduate level Condensed Matter Physics book that has a number of examples and concise explanations rather than walls of texts? It should cover typical topics such as scattering, magnetism etc. I apologize if this may strike a nerve with Condensed Matter purists: I have tried to go over books by Kittel, Ashcroft/Mermin, Dove, etc but I simply couldn't really get into them and struggled unfortunately.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for book recommendations on Condensed Matter Physics. I understand your struggle in finding a textbook that suits your learning style and I would be happy to suggest some options for you.

One book that I have found to be very helpful in explaining concepts concisely and with plenty of examples is "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel. This book covers a wide range of topics including scattering, magnetism, and many others. It is written at an undergraduate level and is known for its clear explanations and numerous solved problems.

Another option is "Solid State Physics" by Neil Ashcroft and David Mermin. This book is also written at an undergraduate level and has a focus on the fundamental principles of solid state physics. It has a good balance between theory and applications, and also includes many examples and exercises.

If you are looking for a more visual approach, "Condensed Matter in a Nutshell" by Gerald D. Mahan is a great option. This book uses diagrams, graphs, and illustrations to explain concepts and is known for its clear and concise writing style.

I hope these recommendations are helpful to you in finding a Condensed Matter Physics book that suits your needs. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is a branch of physics that deals with the physical properties of condensed phases of matter, such as solids and liquids. It aims to understand and explain the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. Why is it important to study condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties and behaviors of materials, which can lead to the development of new technologies and applications. It also provides insights into the nature of matter and its interactions, which can have implications for other fields of physics.

3. Can you recommend any good books on condensed matter physics?

Yes, some popular and highly recommended books on condensed matter physics include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Condensed Matter Physics" by Michael P. Marder, and "The Oxford Solid State Basics" by Steven H. Simon.

4. What level of understanding is required to read books on condensed matter physics?

Books on condensed matter physics are usually aimed at undergraduate or graduate level students, so a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is necessary. Some books may also require knowledge of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning about condensed matter physics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses that can help in learning about condensed matter physics. Some recommended websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.