Blatt vs. Krane (Nuclear Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between two nuclear physics books - Krane and Blatt. While Krane is a popular recommendation, it comes at a high price. Blatt's text may be dated, but it has useful background material. The conversation also mentions that Blatt passed away in 1990, so his books may be outdated. On the other hand, Krane's price may vary depending on the reference frame. The conversation concludes with a discussion on purchasing the Indian edition of Krane and a link to a relevant legal case.
djh101
I will be needing to pick up a nuclear physics book one of these days. Krane seems to be a pretty popular recommendation, but the price is a little but high. I've heard good things about Blatt, but never in comparison to Krane. So how does Blatt hold up to Krane? Are they suitable for the same demographic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blatt's text may be dated, but some find it useful for the background material, at least up until about 1979 (co-authored with Viktor Weisskopf), or so. Dover apparently republished the old edition.

Blatt died in 1990, so his books are dated, unless someone revised an edition since then.

Interesting bio - http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/blatt.html

As for Krane, the price is not an invariant: it depends on the reference frame :-)
http://www.amazon.it/dp/047180553X/ (original Wiley hardcover at 53 euros, plus what, 15 euros shipping?)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/8126517859/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (Indian paperback used -but like new- edition at about 30 bucks included shipping - I have this one and I have to tell that the paper and the print are surprisingly good - I wasn't so lucky with Eisberg&Resnick though)

If you are concerned about buying an (allegedly used) Indian edition in the US, you might want to read this: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/11-697

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Well I'm not opposed to paying a high price for Krane if it really is a good book (if I'm going to buy it and keep it on my bookshelf, I'd prefer the hardcover), it just might have to wait a little while.

As a scientist in the field of nuclear physics, I can provide some insight into the comparison between Blatt and Krane's books. Both books are highly regarded in the field and have been used by many students and researchers. However, there are some differences between the two that may be helpful in making your decision.

Firstly, Blatt's book, "Principles of Nuclear Physics," is a classic text that has been used for decades. It covers a wide range of topics in nuclear physics, from basic concepts to more advanced theories. On the other hand, Krane's book, "Introductory Nuclear Physics," is a more recent publication that focuses on introductory concepts and is often used as a textbook in undergraduate courses.

In terms of content, both books cover similar topics, but Krane's book may be more suitable for beginners or those with a limited background in physics. Blatt's book, on the other hand, may be more comprehensive and in-depth, making it better suited for advanced students and researchers.

In terms of price, as you mentioned, Krane's book may be more affordable compared to Blatt's. However, it is important to consider the value and quality of the content when making your decision.

Ultimately, the choice between Blatt and Krane's book will depend on your level of knowledge and the specific topics you are interested in. Both are reputable and well-respected texts in the field of nuclear physics, so I would recommend considering your needs and preferences before making a decision.

1. What is the difference between the Blatt and Krane models in nuclear physics?

The Blatt and Krane models are both mathematical models used to describe the structure of atomic nuclei. The main difference between the two is that the Blatt model focuses on the nuclear shell structure, while the Krane model incorporates both the shell structure and collective motion of the nucleons within the nucleus.

2. Which model is more accurate in predicting nuclear properties?

Both the Blatt and Krane models have been successful in predicting certain nuclear properties, but neither model is considered to be fully accurate. The choice of which model to use depends on the specific nuclear property being studied and the experimental data available.

3. What are some limitations of the Blatt and Krane models?

The Blatt and Krane models have some limitations, including the fact that they do not take into account the effects of nuclear forces and the interactions between nucleons within the nucleus. Additionally, these models do not account for the presence of exotic nuclei, such as those with extremely large or small numbers of protons and neutrons.

4. How do the Blatt and Krane models contribute to our understanding of nuclear physics?

The Blatt and Krane models have been instrumental in providing a framework for understanding the structure of atomic nuclei. They have also helped to explain various nuclear phenomena, such as the magic numbers of stable nuclei and the existence of nuclear isomers.

5. Are there other models besides Blatt and Krane that are used in nuclear physics?

Yes, there are several other models used in nuclear physics, including the liquid drop model, the nuclear shell model, and the collective model. Each model has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of which model to use depends on the specific nuclear property being studied.