Getting introduced to Lattice QCD

In summary, you need to understand quantum mechanics at a level above Sakurai and E&M in order to follow this text.
Visceral
Hello,

I am a first year graduate student in physics who is interested in getting involved in the field of lattice QCD. I purchased the text "Lattice methods for quantum chromodynamics" by DeGrand and Detar. I have never taken a course on quantum field theory, but I hoped that having knowledge of quantum mechanics at the level of Sakurai and E&M at the level of Jackson could *possibly* enable me to understand the text. I was most definitely wrong in that assumption. It seems pretty clear you need to already understand QFT somewhat.

Is anyone familiar with this text? If so, what textbooks should I go through first, or a least have by my side as I try to slog through this one? I have noticed the authors sometimes quote the QFT text by Peskin and Schroeder. Maybe this would be a good place to start?

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert in Lattice QCD but famliar with QFT. Peskin/Schroeder is a standard introductory text, which is in principle pretty good but unfortunately full of typos and sometimes even conceptual problems (e.g., in the chapter on the renormalization group, dimensionful arguments of logs occur, which is ironic, because the renormalization group is all about the scales which must be introduced into the game to avoid dimensional arguments in logs). Thus I recommend Ryder's book as an introductory text. This should be enough to understand the principles of QFT, including renormalization and gauge theories.

The best books on relativistic QFT ever written, in my opinion, are Weinberg's three volumes, The Quantum Theory of Fields. You don't need vol. 3 which is about supersymmetric QFT. Vol. I covers the basics including QED and Vol. II is about gauge theories and the Standard Model, including the renormalization group, anomalies, and all that.

You find my own attempt to (start to) write an intro text to QFT at my home page:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

I'm not aware of a basic textbook which uses the lattice formulation from the start. I guess, that would be possible in principle too, because the lattice approach can be seen as just another way to regularize the continuum theory.

Visceral said:
Hello,

I am a first year graduate student in physics who is interested in getting involved in the field of lattice QCD. I purchased the text "Lattice methods for quantum chromodynamics" by DeGrand and Detar. I have never taken a course on quantum field theory, but I hoped that having knowledge of quantum mechanics at the level of Sakurai and E&M at the level of Jackson could *possibly* enable me to understand the text. I was most definitely wrong in that assumption. It seems pretty clear you need to already understand QFT somewhat.

Is anyone familiar with this text? If so, what textbooks should I go through first, or a least have by my side as I try to slog through this one? I have noticed the authors sometimes quote the QFT text by Peskin and Schroeder. Maybe this would be a good place to start?

Thanks for reading

Have you looked on the archives? If not, go to xxx.lanl.gov and do a search for papers with ''lattice'' and ''lectures'' or ''introduction'' in the title or abstract. You will find many good introductions and this is all free (you can do the same thing with quantum field theory) .
As for books on lattice QFT, I don't know the one you got. I like the books by Smit and the one by Rothe.
There is another one by Gattringer and Lang which presents itself as being introductory so maybe it is good. I don't know it.

For QFT, I personally think that Peskin and Schroeder is not the best way to start. And the books by Weinberg are excellent but not at all as a starting point.

I would suggest to first read Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics by Griffiths, it is the best starting point, IMHO. Then I would say look at the books on QFT and relativistic quantum mechanics by Greiner. Ryder is also great. Then Srednicki. Focus on the path integral approach as it is central in Lattice QFT.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I certainly have a better idea of how to get started here!

and for any advice you may have.

Hello there, it's great to hear that you are interested in getting involved in the field of lattice QCD. It's definitely a challenging but rewarding field to study. As you have already realized, having a strong foundation in quantum field theory (QFT) is essential for understanding lattice QCD. I would highly recommend starting with a comprehensive QFT textbook such as Peskin and Schroeder, as you mentioned, or perhaps "Quantum Field Theory" by Mandl and Shaw. These texts will provide you with the necessary background and understanding of QFT concepts that are crucial for studying lattice QCD. Additionally, it may also be helpful to brush up on your knowledge of statistical mechanics and numerical methods, as they are also important for lattice QCD simulations. As for the specific text you mentioned, "Lattice methods for quantum chromodynamics" by DeGrand and Detar, it is a well-respected and comprehensive text in the field, but it may be more suitable for someone with a solid background in QFT. Don't be discouraged, with dedication and hard work, you will be able to grasp the concepts and make progress in your studies of lattice QCD. Best of luck to you!

1. What is Lattice QCD?

Lattice QCD (quantum chromodynamics) is a computational approach used to study the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics to simulate the interactions between quarks and gluons, the particles that make up protons, neutrons, and other hadrons.

2. How does Lattice QCD differ from other approaches to studying the strong force?

Lattice QCD differs from other approaches, such as perturbative QCD and effective field theories, in that it does not rely on approximations and can provide precise results for the strong force at low energies. It also allows for the calculation of non-perturbative quantities, such as hadron masses and properties, which cannot be calculated using other methods.

3. What is a lattice in Lattice QCD?

A lattice in Lattice QCD refers to a discretized space-time grid that is used to represent the continuous space-time of the quantum field theory. This lattice allows for the use of numerical simulations to solve the equations of Lattice QCD and obtain results for physical observables.

4. What are the challenges of using Lattice QCD?

One of the main challenges of using Lattice QCD is the computational power required to solve the equations on a large lattice with high precision. This requires advanced numerical algorithms and high-performance computing resources. Another challenge is dealing with the fermion sign problem, which arises when simulating fermionic particles on the lattice.

5. What are the applications of Lattice QCD?

Lattice QCD has a wide range of applications in nuclear and particle physics, including the study of hadron structure, nuclear physics, and the properties of the quark-gluon plasma, which is thought to have existed in the early universe. It is also used to test the Standard Model of particle physics and search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.