Demonstrate that Cv depends only on temperature

In summary, the specific heat capacity at constant volume (Cv) is defined as the change in heat with respect to temperature at constant volume. It is typically dependent on the nature of the gas, with monoatomic gases having a Cv of 3/2 and diatomic gases having a Cv of 5/2. However, this is only valid at low pressures. At higher pressures, Cv also depends on pressure and cannot solely be determined by temperature. To mathematically prove the relationship between Cv and temperature for a specific gas, the equation of state for the gas must be known. The ideal gas law can be used to show that for an ideal monatomic gas, Cv is constant and equal to 3/2 times the gas constant
mwa1
Hello,

I stumbled upon this question and I don't know how to answer it...

I know that Cv is defined as Cv = δQv/dT = (∂U/∂T)v but I thought it's value was determined by the nature of the gas only (3/2 for monoatomic and 5/2 for diatomic).

Can someone help me figure this out ?

Science news on Phys.org
but I thought it's value was determined by the nature of the gas only (3/2 for monoatomic and 5/2 for diatomic).
The 5/2 is not valid in the whole temperature range, as it does not take vibrations into account.

Ok, but do you have any idea of how I could prove that it depends only on temperature ? (other than experimentally)
I can't seem to find anything about this on the internet or my textbook.

mwa1 said:
I can't seem to find anything about this on the internet or my textbook.

That's strange. I typed "Cv depends only on temperature" into Google and got lots of explanations.

Well I haven't. I wouldn't bother posting and waiting for an answer if I had found something convincing...

As I understand it, Internal Energy is defined as (for monatomic gases) the mean Kinetic Energy of all molecules and Temperature is a measurement of it :

Nm<v2>/2 = U = 3NkBT/2

and Cv is just 3NkB/2

Cv can always be written in terms of U and T but then how do I get rid of the U ?

Cv does not depend only on temperature. It also depends on pressure, as does U. If you are focusing exclusively on gases, then Cv depends only on temperature in the limit of very low pressures. This is what we call the ideal gas region. At higher pressures, Cv depends on pressure.

Chet

mwa1 said:
Hello,

I stumbled upon this question and I don't know how to answer it...

I know that Cv is defined as Cv = δQv/dT = (∂U/∂T)v but I thought it's value was determined by the nature of the gas only (3/2 for monoatomic and 5/2 for diatomic).

Can someone help me figure this out ?
It is an empirical fact that for all gases at low pressures Cv depends only on temperature. But in order to show mathematically the relationship between Cv and temperature for a particular gas you would need to know the equation of state for the gas. For an ideal monatomic gas, Cv is constant:

PV=nRT

dQ/dT = d/dT(U + PdV)

(dQ/dT)V = (dU/dT)V = Cv

From Kinetic Theory, U = 3nRT/2. So (dU/dT)V = 3nR/2 = Cv = constant

AM

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is Cv?

Cv is the specific heat at constant volume, which measures the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

2. Why is it important to demonstrate that Cv depends only on temperature?

It is important because it allows us to predict the change in temperature of a substance when heat is added or removed, without having to consider any other factors.

3. How can we prove that Cv depends only on temperature?

We can prove this by conducting experiments at different temperatures and measuring the specific heat at each temperature. If we find that Cv remains constant, then we can conclude that it depends only on temperature.

4. What factors affect Cv, if not temperature?

Cv may also be affected by the molecular structure of a substance, such as the number of atoms and their arrangement. However, these factors are assumed to remain constant when determining the dependence of Cv on temperature.

5. How does knowing the temperature dependence of Cv benefit scientific research?

Understanding the temperature dependence of Cv is crucial in many areas of science, such as thermodynamics, material science, and chemistry. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations, and also helps us better understand the behavior of different substances at different temperatures.