Solving the Helicopter Problem - What is the Answer?

• Thread starter Viper2838
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helicopter
In summary, there was a debate in a physics class about the velocity of a package after it was cut from a helicopter while accelerating upwards at 5.2 m/s^2. The package was believed to either have a velocity of 0 or 30 m/s. The general consensus was that the package would continue to have a velocity of 30 m/s, as it was still affected by the initial acceleration of the helicopter. This was compared to a passenger on a bus, who would continue to move forward at the bus's initial velocity before decelerating. The person who believed the package would have a velocity of 30 m/s was in the minority, but still thought it was correct.
Viper2838
This problem led to a debate in my physics class, which was never resolved.

A helicopter holding a 70kg package from a rope 5m long is accelerating up at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. Neglect air resistance. When the upward velocity of the helicopter is 30 m/s, the rope is cut and the helicopter continues to rise at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. Determine the distance between the helicopter and package after 2 seconds.

The debate was over whether or not the package had a velocity of 0 or 30m/s after it was cut. I personally believed the package to follow a projectile path upward at a starting velocity of 30 m/s. Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion the package would have an upwards velocity on 30m/s and be accelerationg downwards at g.

It is obvious that when the package starts falling it has an initial velocity of 30m/s, taking upwards as positive. Take for example a bus. If you are a passenger, and if the bus was traveling at a high speed and was forced to brake at a high deceleration, you would be flung forward because you are still traveling at the bus's initial velocity before the bus decelerates.

Yup, no debate about it: it still has the velocity given to it by the helicopter, as they were acting as one object initially.

Thank you all for helping me on this one. I thought that the package should have an initial velocity of 30 m/s. Unfortunately, i was the only one to think so :frown: . Oh well. Thanks again

1. What is the helicopter problem?

The helicopter problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the minimum number of helicopter flights needed to transport a given number of people from one side of a river to the other. The problem assumes that there is a limited number of seats on each helicopter and that the weight distribution of the passengers must be balanced for safe flight.

2. Why is solving the helicopter problem important?

Solving the helicopter problem is important because it has real-world applications in transportation, logistics, and resource allocation. It can also serve as a model for other optimization problems, making it a useful tool for scientists and engineers.

3. What is the current solution to the helicopter problem?

The current solution to the helicopter problem is a mathematical algorithm known as the "Greedy Algorithm." This method involves finding the optimal solution by selecting the most logical and efficient choices at each step of the problem.

4. Are there any limitations to the current solution?

While the current solution to the helicopter problem is effective, it does have limitations. The Greedy Algorithm may not always produce the most optimal solution, and it may not work for more complex variations of the problem.

5. What are some potential future developments in solving the helicopter problem?

There is ongoing research in the field of optimization algorithms that may lead to more efficient and accurate solutions to the helicopter problem. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, may provide new approaches to solving this and other optimization problems.