Solving Doubts on Rotational Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses formulas for finding angular velocity, angular acceleration, angular displacement, linear velocity, linear acceleration, and linear displacement in rotational motion. The equations discussed include ω=ωi+αt, ω²=ωi²+2αδ, δ=ωit+1/2αt², s=rδ, v=rω, and a=rα. It is noted that some of these equations only apply to constant acceleration, while others always work. Additionally, the conversation briefly touches on the use of negative and positive values for velocity in certain scenarios.
freshbox
Hi guys, I have a few doubts on Rotational Motion and hope someone can help me out.

This 3 formula is for finding angular velocity, angular acceleration and angular displacement right?
ω=ωi+αt
ω²=ωi²+2αδ
δ=ωit+1/2αt²

And this 3 formula is for finding the linear velocity/acceleration/displacement in a angular shape?
s=rδ
v=rω
α=rα

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have no problems on linear acceleration then then only thing that changes in rotational motion is that u becomes ω , a becomes α , x becomes θ .

In both of your questions , the answer is yes .

Thank you ZxcvbnM2000 for the reply.I want to ask can I use this equation v=rω to find the angular velocity as well?

yes of course as long as you know the linear velocity and the radius ;p

Ok thank you for the explanation and help.

Out of topic abit, if a rock is thrown downward from the top of a building, the velocity I can set it as -ve or +ve, and usually people set it to +ve for the working to be easier, am I right?

hi freshbox! :smile:
freshbox said:
This 3 formula is for finding angular velocity, angular acceleration and angular displacement right?
ω=ωi+αt
ω²=ωi²+2αδ
δ=ωit+1/2αt²

only for constant acceleration (just like the linear case) :wink:
And this 3 formula is for finding the linear velocity/acceleration/displacement in a angular shape?
s=rδ
v=rω
a=rα

s=rδ works only for constant ω

the other two always work :smile:
freshbox said:
… if a rock is thrown downward from the top of a building, the velocity I can set it as -ve or +ve, and usually people set it to +ve for the working to be easier, am I right?

yes, so long as you're careful to adjust the sign of g to match :wink:

thank you tiny-tim for the explanation.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and planets.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. Additionally, linear motion can be described using distance and speed, while rotational motion is described using angles and angular velocity.

3. How do you calculate rotational motion?

Rotational motion can be calculated using several equations, including angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. These equations take into account the distance from the axis of rotation, the time taken, and the angle of rotation.

4. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque acts on it. This means that if the angular momentum of one object in a system increases, another object's angular momentum must decrease to balance it out.

5. How is rotational motion applied in real life?

Rotational motion is applied in various aspects of everyday life, such as in the functioning of vehicles, machinery, and sports. For example, the rotation of a car's tires allows it to move forward, and the rotation of a tennis player's arm generates the force needed to hit the ball.