Should I be a Reactor Operator

In summary, the student is afraid that they might not have the genius necessary to do nuclear engineering and is worried about their ability to do well in their classes. They also mention that they are doing undergraduate research but it is not going well. The student also says that they are making progress.
TheNE
I want to be on the cutting edge of nuclear engineering, but I am afraid that I might not have the genius necessary to do it. I'm in my first semester of taking NucE classes, and my Fluid Mechanics class is tearing me up! Not to mention my Fundamentals of Nuclear Science/Engineering class is starting to lose me. I've been trying to do good on my homework and have a B in my Fundamentals class, but I don't feel confident without an A. Should I consider finishing my degree and becoming a reactor operator? I have a C in my fluids class too. (Although I have a B in my Modern Physics class, a B in my Intro to NucE class, an A in my Reactor Operations class, and a B in my Statistics class) Does anyone have any wisdom they can impart on me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would also like to mention that my campus has a reactor that I can be trained to operate. Would getting my Reactor Operator License be a good idea? Senior Reactor Operator License? I'm really thinking about doing "reactor training" next semester.

Just curious, where do you go to school and what is your current GPA?

Honestly, what is cutting edge in Nuclear Engineering? Most of what I have seen is 1960s-1970s tech that we are just rediscovering or fleshing out the rest of the details.

Also, ROs live boring lives. Buckle down and get help. Don't give up just because you're hitting a wall with your NE courses. Fluids kicks everyone's *** (Mine too and I'm hoping to do a PhD in TH).

I'm attending Missouri S&T (Formerly UM(R)olla). My GPA is basically sitting at a 3.0.

Thermalne said:
Also, ROs live boring lives.

And let's all hope it stays that way.

I'm also doing undergraduate research, but it's not going as well as I thought it would. I'm starting to make some progress though.

1. Should I have a background in science or engineering to become a Reactor Operator?

While a background in science or engineering can be helpful in understanding the technical aspects of reactor operation, it is not a requirement. Reactor operators receive extensive training on the job and are expected to have strong problem-solving skills and the ability to follow complex procedures.

2. Is the job of a Reactor Operator dangerous?

Working as a Reactor Operator does come with certain risks, as with any job that involves operating complex machinery. However, strict safety protocols and procedures are in place to minimize these risks. Reactor operators are also required to undergo rigorous training and regular safety drills to ensure they are prepared for any potential emergencies.

3. What are the education requirements to become a Reactor Operator?

The minimum education requirement to become a Reactor Operator is a high school diploma or equivalent. However, most employers prefer candidates with some college coursework in science or engineering. Additionally, reactor operators must complete an extensive training program and pass a series of examinations before being certified.

4. How much does a Reactor Operator make?

The salary for a Reactor Operator can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and specific industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Nuclear Reactor Operators in the United States was $94,350 in May 2020.

5. What are the job prospects for Reactor Operators?

The job outlook for Reactor Operators is relatively stable, with a projected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029. However, competition for these positions may be high due to the specialized training and education required. Those with military experience or a background in electronics or mechanics may have an advantage in the job market.