Second small battery in a smartphone

In summary, Chris from Germany is asking if it is possible to have a second, small battery in a smartphone that can store additional energy and mentions reading about biological semiconductors. He apologizes for his lack of knowledge in the field and hopes not to bother anyone with his question.
Chris88
Hi guys,

I'm Chris from Germany. First of all, I'm not an expert in science, biology or electrical engineering. But i would have this question to experts, that's why I'm here. Sorry if my question will sound "dumb" or "easy" but as i said, i don't have any knowledge in this field.

Is it possible, to have a second battery in a smartphone which can store energy for power and is really really small? For instants, this battery can store 30% of the basic battery energie volume in an iPhone.

Is something like this avaible? I read some stuff about biological semiconductors, but as i already said, no experience and know-how at all.

I hope i don't bother you guys.

Thanks in advanced and best,
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chris88 said:
Hi guys,

I'm Chris from Germany. First of all, I'm not an expert in science, biology or electrical engineering. But i would have this question to experts, that's why I'm here. Sorry if my question will sound "dumb" or "easy" but as i said, i don't have any knowledge in this field.

Is it possible, to have a second battery in a smartphone which can store energy for power and is really really small? For instants, this battery can store 30% of the basic battery energie volume in an iPhone.

Is something like this avaible? I read some stuff about biological semiconductors, but as i already said, no experience and know-how at all.

I hope i don't bother you guys.

Thanks in advanced and best,
Chris

I don't know about an extra battery small enough to fit inside the phone that will be capable of holding 30% extra energy from full charge; however, I have seen some folks build a portable iPhone charger for next to nothing, and they weren't even engineers, so it's really not all-that difficult to do.
As far as biological semiconductors, I've never really heard of such things; not saying they don't exist, but, I've never of 'em. Perhaps someone else could enlighten us.

1. What is the purpose of the second small battery in a smartphone?

The second small battery, also known as the "reserve battery" or "backup battery", is used to power essential functions of the smartphone in case the main battery dies or malfunctions. This includes keeping the clock running, receiving calls and texts, and maintaining the device's settings and data.

2. How does the second small battery differ from the main battery in a smartphone?

The second small battery is typically a smaller, lower capacity battery compared to the main battery. It is not meant to power the entire device, but rather act as a backup in case of emergencies. It also has a different charging and discharging cycle than the main battery, as it is only used under certain circumstances.

3. Can the second small battery be replaced or upgraded?

In most smartphones, the second small battery is not replaceable or upgradable. It is often built into the device's circuitry and cannot be easily accessed. However, some high-end smartphones may have a removable backup battery that can be replaced or upgraded by the user.

4. How long does the second small battery last?

The lifespan of the second small battery varies depending on usage and the manufacturer. It is designed to have a longer lifespan compared to the main battery, as it is not used as frequently. Some manufacturers claim it can last up to 10 years, while others suggest replacing it every 2-3 years.

5. Can the second small battery be charged separately from the main battery?

No, the second small battery is charged simultaneously with the main battery when the device is plugged in. It cannot be charged separately as it is connected to the main battery and draws power from it. However, some devices may have a separate charging circuit for the second small battery, allowing it to be charged independently.