Is This Function a Gradient? Testing for Line Integrals

In summary, to calculate the line integral for a given function over a closed curve, you need to parametrize the curve, calculate the INTEGRAL over the curve using h*dr, and make sure that the INTEGRAL is positive.
SigmaCrisis
Calculating line integrals...

Ok, the problem is:
h(x,y) = 3x (x^2 + y^4)^1/2 i + 6y^3 (x^2 + y^4)^1/2 j;
over the arc: y = -(1 - x^2)^1/2 from (-1,0) to (1,0).

In my notes, I had written: if h is a gradient, then the INTEGRAL of g*dr over curve C depends only on the endpoints. Also, if the curve C is closed AND h is a gradient, then the integral of g*dr over curve c is 0.

So, my question is, when testing to see if a given function like the one above, should you just test to see if:

partial derivative of the i component with respect to y EQUALS the partial derivative of the j component with respect to x?

If not equal, then it is not a gradient, right?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SigmaCrisis said:
Ok, the problem is:
h(x,y) = 3x (x^2 + y^4)^1/2 i + 6y^3 (x^2 + y^4)^1/2 j;
over the arc: y = -(1 - x^2)^1/2 from (-1,0) to (1,0).
In my notes, I had written: if h is a gradient, then the INTEGRAL of g*dr over curve C depends only on the endpoints. Also, if the curve C is closed AND h is a gradient, then the integral of g*dr over curve c is 0.
True enough, but you have placed your focus on a SIMPLIFYING SPECIAL CASE, rather than on the general case (which is what you SHOULD focus on).
So, how are line integrals IN GENERAL computed?

EDIT:
As far as your question is concerned, yes that is how you could test for whether h is a gradient field.

Last edited:
I couldn't parametrize the arc...and I thought that perhaps taking the integrals by considering only the endpoints would be easier. In this example, I parametrized the straight line connecting the endpoints, r(u) = (2u-1)i + (0)j. This however produces the wrong answer.

To answer the question on how to calculate the line integral:

[INTEGRAL on curve C] h*dr, where r is the parametrization of the curve. Right?

Try the parametrization:
[tex]x=\cos\theta, y=\sin\theta, \pi\leq\theta\leq2\pi[/tex]

I'm fairly sure it'll work out if you fiddle about with it for a while.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in calculus that calculates the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It is used to find the area under a curve, the work done by a vector field, and other physical quantities.

2. How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parameterize the curve or path using a set of parametric equations. Then, you integrate the given function with respect to the parameter, from the lower limit to the upper limit of the parameterization.

3. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is calculated along a one-dimensional curve, while a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface. Line integrals are used to find quantities along a curve, while surface integrals are used to find quantities over a surface.

4. What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a given path. They are also used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a curve, which is important in understanding the flow of a fluid or electric field.

5. Can line integrals be calculated in higher dimensions?

Yes, line integrals can be extended to higher dimensions through the concept of path integrals. These are used in quantum mechanics and other fields to calculate the total value of a function along a given path in three or more dimensions.