How can I prove the continuity of sin(x) using common properties?

In summary, to show that Sin(x) is a continuous function, we can use the properties of sine and cosine, specifically the addition angle identity and the geometric properties of the unit circle. By using these properties, we can show that |sin(x)| can be made small by choosing |x| small, which proves the continuity of sin(x).
JonF
I’m having trouble showing that Sin(x) is a continuous function. I’m try to show it’s continuous by showing: [itex] 0<|x - x_0| < d => |sin(x) - sin(x_0)|<\epsilon[/itex]

Here is what I have done [itex] |sin(x)| - |sin(x_0)|<|sin(x) - sin(x_0)|<\epsilon [/itex] and |sin(x)|<|x| so -|x| < -|sin(x)| => [itex] |sin(x)|- |x| < |sin(x)| - |sin(x_0)|< \epsilon [/itex] but I can’t seem to go anywhere from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you supposed to know about sin(x) and cos(x) particularly for x near 0? I suggest you start with sin(x)=sin(x0+(x-x0)) and use the formula sin(u+v)=sin(u)cos(v)+sin(v)cos(u), and proceed from there.

i tried the addition angle identity, it only seemed to make things worse :(

What definition of sine and cosine are you using? If you are using the (fairly) standard definition as the y and x coordinates, respectively, on the unit circle at angle [itex]\theta[/itex], then you are going to have to use some geometric properties.

It would be helpful to know what definition you are using. Expanding mathman's out line a standard proof becomes obvious if these well known properties are first established
1)for all real numbers x and y
sin(x/2)-sin(y/2)=2*cos(x+y)*sin(x-y)
2)for all real numbers x
cos(x)<=1
3) for all real numbers x
|sin(x)|<=|x|

Thus the given problem
show that |sin(x)-sin(y)| can be made small by chosing |x-y| small
becomes
show that |sin(x)| can be made small by chosing |x| small

What is the definition of continuity of trigonometric functions?

Continuity of trigonometric functions refers to the property of a function where there are no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. In other words, the function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the function value at that point.

How is continuity of trigonometric functions related to differentiability?

In general, if a function is continuous at a point, it is also differentiable at that point. This means that if a trigonometric function is continuous, it is also differentiable at that point. However, the converse is not true - a function can be differentiable at a point but not continuous.

What are the three types of discontinuities in trigonometric functions?

The three types of discontinuities in trigonometric functions are:

• Removable discontinuity: This occurs when a function has a hole or gap in its graph, but can be filled in by redefining the function at that point.
  • Jump discontinuity: This occurs when the graph of a function has a sudden jump or break at a point.
  • Infinite discontinuity: This occurs when the limit of the function at a point is either positive or negative infinity.

How can we determine the continuity of trigonometric functions?

To determine the continuity of a trigonometric function, we need to check three things:

1. The function must be defined at the given point.
  2. The limit of the function at that point must exist.
  3. The limit of the function must be equal to the function value at that point.

What is the intermediate value theorem for trigonometric functions?

The intermediate value theorem for trigonometric functions states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it takes on every value between the values of the function at the endpoints of the interval. In other words, if f(a) and f(b) are two values of the function at the endpoints of the interval, then for any value c between f(a) and f(b), there exists a point x in the interval such that f(x) = c.