Help with Kinetic/Potential Energy problem

• Thread starter apollo11cdr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving kinetic and potential energy. The stone is fired with an initial velocity and reaches a maximum height where it has a specific amount of kinetic energy. The conversation discusses how to use conservation of energy to solve the problem and determine the height of the stone at its maximum point.
apollo11cdr
Help with Kinetic/Potential Energy problem !

Homework Statement

Can anyone help me solve a problem. ??

A stone weighing 0.62 kg is fired from point a at 5.5 m s-1 , at point b mid range (Maximum height) it has 2.3 joules kinetc energy.. what is the height of the stone at point b ?

b]2. Homework Equations [/b]

mg h = half mv squared

h = v2/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

h = 30.25 m s -1 / 2 x 9.8 ms -2

That is the only solution I can think of !

anyone suggest another way to solve this ?

Thanks

A11cdr

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to that "solution"?

Forget the formulae for a moment. How would you apply the conservation of energy to this problem?

Looking thru the problem that was the only equation that came to mind...

With the stone at its maximum height I don't understand why it has a KE of 2.3 joules ! unless perhaps that is proportional to its initial KE.

Baffled...

apollo11cdr said:
With the stone at its maximum height I don't understand why it has a KE of 2.3 joules ! unless perhaps that is proportional to its initial KE.

Baffled...

I'm the one baffled at the moment. :wink:

Conservation of (mechanical) energy: In the absence of dissipative forces, the sum of kinetic and potential energies of a system is always a constant. Here your "system" is the stone.

Apply this principle to the problem.

Thank you.. I will read up on that topic !

Im sorry to have confused you !

How about initial kinetic energy / 9.8 n

9.4 J / 9.8 n = 0.959m or 1m

I think the 2.3 joules at the point B (maximum height) is just a decrease of KE before it becomes PE.. can't understand why it quoted really other than KE can never be negative it is a product of definite quantities or something ?

Am I getting warm ?

Take the point from which the stone was fired as zero P.E (well, this could be anything, but we choose zero for convenience). At the same point the stone also has some K.E. Now, the sum P.E + K.E is a constant, say C.

PE + KE = C, and in whatever way the KE and PE change, their sum remains C, at all times (this is assuming that there is no air resistance or friction involved). You can find what this C is when the stone is fired. Now when it is at the top, the KE has changed, and so has the PE, but as stated earlier, their sum remains what it was when the stone was fired.

Can you do the problem now?

apollo11cdr said:
I think the 2.3 joules at the point B (maximum height) is just a decrease of KE before it becomes PE

.. can't understand why it quoted really other than KE can never be negative it is a product of definite quantities or something ?

Generally, it is not necessary that the energy should be completely PE (or completely KE) at some point. What you have is projectile motion; unless the stone was shot straight up, the KE at the top will not be zero. Remember, there is still the horizontal component of the initial velocity at the top.

Still trying :-)

I have used equation for Initial KE which gives me a total of 9.4 Joules.
So I presume that is the figure that will be the total KE + PE... the constant

I am lost when it comes to the object having 2.3 joules at the middle of the curve... as it is not zero.. I am puzzled ...

KE = 2.3 J at point B , so PE must equal 7.1 Joules if energy is constant... but I can't seem to find the right equation to establish the height of the stone mid range... could be 7.1 J / gravity 9.8 N ?

I must thank you for your help !

apollo11cdr said:
Still trying :-)

I have used equation for Initial KE which gives me a total of 9.4 Joules.
So I presume that is the figure that will be the total KE + PE... the constant

That's right.

I am lost when it comes to the object having 2.3 joules at the middle of the curve... as it is not zero.. I am puzzled ...

Why should it be zero? Did you read my last post?

KE = 2.3 J at point B , so PE must equal 7.1 Joules if energy is constant...
Right again.

but I can't seem to find the right equation to establish the height of the stone mid range... could be 7.1 J / gravity 9.8 N ?

I think you've mixed up numbers and units somehow. The PE (at a height h, which is small compared to the radius of the earth) is mgh.

Thread moved from Advanced Physics to Introductory Physics.

1. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. How do you calculate potential energy?

Potential energy can be calculated using the equation PE = m * g * h, where PE is potential energy, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height.

3. How do you know if a problem involves kinetic or potential energy?

If the problem involves the movement of an object or an object's velocity, it most likely involves kinetic energy. If the problem involves an object's position or height, it most likely involves potential energy.

4. Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the energy an object has due to its motion.

5. How can kinetic and potential energy be related?

Kinetic and potential energy are related through the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of kinetic and potential energy, as an object moves and loses kinetic energy, it gains potential energy, and vice versa.