Understanding Light: Wave to Particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light as both a wave and a particle, with the understanding that light is actually made up of discrete packets of energy called photons. The question posed is how to translate the quantatative measures of frequency and wavelength into the realm of the photon as a particle. The conversation also touches on the nature of photons as being defined in an energy base rather than a spatial coordinate base, and the idea that they are non-spacial particles with no area or volume.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

Been a while since i posted here or did any physics/maths (on holidays from uni atm, between 1st and 2nd year of physics major) but i have a quick question, which might infact be flawed in itself but we shall see.

People think of light as a never ending wave, which we were shown by Einstine is false as light moves and exists in discrete packets, photons. I can accept that, and we must if particle physics is to work. However what i have trouble with is translating what is not just a convienience but an actual quantatative measure, ie frequency/wavelength, into the realm of the photon as a particle. At first i thought perhaps you could do a sort of 'reverse debroglie wavelength' but that would be false as that, as far as i know, is linked to the probability of finding a particle and is not an actual inherint property of it.

Hope this made sense!
Thanks
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
FunkyDwarf said:
People think of light as a never ending wave,

Nothing in life is "never ending" :wink:

which we were shown by Einstine is false as light moves and exists in discrete packets, photons.
Why is there a flaw ? The discrete energy packets we call photons are defined in an energy base, not a spatial coordinate base (like an Euclidean frame of reference for example) in which the "never ending wave" is expressed. How can you compare such two equivalent concepts that are defined with respect to different bases ?

marlon

I know nothing in life is never ending, which is why afterwards i said it was false.

What do you mean by defined in an energy base? Are you saying its some non-spacial property?

-G

FunkyDwarf said:
I know nothing in life is never ending, which is why afterwards i said it was false.
But the reason you quoted for that to be false is incorrect. You said that the never ending wave is false because : "light moves and exists in discrete packets, photons". This is incorrect because you cannot compare these two concepts for the reasons i explained in my first post.

What do you mean by defined in an energy base?

Photons are chunks of energy or discrete values of energy. If you would plot these values in a graph, the photons would be points on that graph. So, when the base is "discrete energy values", the photons are just point particles.

Are you saying its some non-spacial property?

-G

That is exactly what i am saying.

marlon

Right, so that would explain why a photon is a point particle with no area/volume? (i mean aside from this being obvious due to the fact its light)

Thanks
-G

FunkyDwarf said:
Right, so that would explain why a photon is a point particle with no area/volume? (i mean aside from this being obvious due to the fact its light)

Thanks
-G

I wouldn't say that because of the nature of light, it is obvious that photons are a point particle. Tell me, how can you deduce this from only looking at light ?

marlon

Last edited:
The photoelectric effect i guess (not sure i understand the question however)

-G

1. What is the difference between a wave and a particle of light?

Light can behave both as a wave and as a particle. A wave of light is characterized by its wavelength and frequency, while a particle of light, called a photon, has energy and momentum. In certain experiments, light behaves more like a wave, while in others it behaves more like a particle.

2. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as electromagnetic waves. These waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's motion. This allows light to travel in a straight line and at the speed of light, which is about 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. It includes other forms of radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each of these forms of radiation has a different wavelength and energy, which determines its properties and uses.

4. How does light interact with matter?

When light encounters matter, it can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, like a mirror. Absorption happens when light is taken in by an object, such as when sunlight is absorbed by plants for photosynthesis. Transmission is when light passes through a material, like when light passes through a window.

5. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where light shining on a metal surface causes the ejection of electrons from the surface. This effect is important in understanding the particle nature of light, as it demonstrated that light can behave as a stream of individual particles (photons) that carry energy and can interact with matter at the atomic level.