Integrate (x^3 + 4x)/sqrt(x^2-4) dx

• Thread starter anderma8
  • Start date
In summary, integration is a mathematical process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. The general formula for integration is ∫f(x)dx = F(x) + C, where f(x) is the function to be integrated, F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x), and C is the constant of integration. To integrate a rational function, we first factor the denominator and then use the partial fraction decomposition method. The purpose of the constant of integration is to account for all possible solutions and represent the family of curves that satisfy the given function. The integration of a function can be visualized as finding the area under the curve, with the definite integral representing the area between two specific points on the x-axis.
anderma8
I'm trying to integrate the following: int (x^3 + 4x)/sqrt(x^2-4) dx

I let u= x^2-4
so du/2 = xdx

granted, the above also gives me x^2=u+4 so, this gives me:

1/2 int u+8 u^-1/2 du

but the professor has:

1/2 int [u^1/2+8 u^-1/2] du

Did I miss the first u^1/2 somewhere? where did it come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind... I found my answer:

(u+8)u^-1/2= u^1/2 + 8u^-1/2

Sorry about that! I forgot the parenthesis!

It looks like you made a small mistake in your substitution. Instead of letting u = x^2-4, you should let u = sqrt(x^2-4). This is because when you substitute u = x^2-4, you end up with du = 2xdx, which is not the same as xdx as you have in your work. By using the correct substitution, you will get du = (1/2)sqrt(x^2-4)dx, which is exactly what you need to integrate the given function.

So, the correct way to integrate this function would be:

1/2 int (x^3 + 4x)/sqrt(x^2-4) dx = 1/2 int (u^3 + 8u)/(u) du = 1/2 int (u^2 + 8) du = (1/2)(u^3/3 + 8u) + C

= (1/6)(x^2-4)^(3/2) + 4sqrt(x^2-4) + C

I hope this helps clarify where the u^1/2 term came from in your professor's solution. Remember to always double check your substitutions to avoid any mistakes. Good luck with your integration!

What is the concept of integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It is the reverse operation of differentiation and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

What is the general formula for integration?

The general formula for integration is ∫f(x)dx = F(x) + C, where f(x) is the function to be integrated, F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x), and C is the constant of integration.

How do you integrate a rational function like (x^3 + 4x)/sqrt(x^2-4)?

To integrate a rational function, we first factor the denominator and then use the partial fraction decomposition method to split the rational function into smaller, more manageable components. Then, we use the power rule and substitution method to integrate each component separately.

What is the purpose of the constant of integration?

The constant of integration is a term that is added to the antiderivative of a function during the integration process. It is used to account for all possible solutions and to represent the family of curves that satisfy the given function.

Can the integration of a function be visualized?

Yes, the integration of a function can be visualized as finding the area under the curve of the function. The definite integral of a function represents the area under the curve between two specific points on the x-axis.