Terminology that is inconsistent with basic physic definitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of understanding advanced physics terminology and definitions, specifically the terms "pure energy" and "time". The speaker suggests using a resource like the "McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms" for clarification. They also mention the difficulty of defining time and how it is often referred to as a coordinate in the physical universe. Overall, the conversation highlights the complex nature of physics terminology and the importance of understanding it in order to fully grasp concepts in the field.
Henry Jones
When reading advanced physics articles, I frequently find terminology that is inconsistent with basic physics definitions. For example: "pure energy". I have no idea what that expression means. I have read much about space-time, the arrow or time, etc, but no definition of "time". Where might I find a source of physics terminology and definitions, as used today?

Physics news on Phys.org
Henry Jones,

As I was reading your post I happened to have sitting next to the "McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms". Maybe something like that is what you're looking for.

But if you don't mind sorting through some irrelevant junk, it's hard to beat a Google Search for info on just about anything.

By the way, I looked up both your terms in that MG Tech Dictionary.

Nothing for "pure energy" although that term is usually used the context of high energy or cosmological physics. It comes from the matter-energy equality that Einstein discovered a hundred years ago. Most things in the universe today are mixtures of matter and energy. But it's thought by physicists that at the instant the universe was formed, there was no matter. It was just pure-energy. Within a small fraction of second the energy began turning into matter.

Time is a tricky one! So is its counterpart-space, or position. Physicist sort of wave their hands on these, and say "we know what we mean by time and space, and if there's ever any disagreement we'll settle it with some math!" The MG Tech Dictionary did have a definition for time, something like, "The dimension of the physical universe which at a given location in space, specifies the ordered sequence of events." Not bad.

By the way, in Einstein's first paper on his theory of relativity, which was fundamentally about time and our perception of it, did he resort to some fancy arcane definion to base his theory on? No. He talked about what it means to say "the train will arrive at the station at 7 pm". We all know what he means! :wink:

Actually time isn't normally defined any more than "x" is defined. Time is one of the coordinates one used to specify an event. It's value depends on the coordinate system chosen. Normally, "time interval", the time span between two events is of much more interest (in the same way that the distance between to points is of more interest than just the coordinates of a point in some arbitrary coordinate system) and that is what is defined.

1. What is the definition of "terminology that is inconsistent with basic physics definitions"?

"Terminology that is inconsistent with basic physics definitions" refers to using words or phrases that do not align with the established terminology and principles of physics. This can lead to confusion and inaccuracies in scientific discussions and experiments.

2. Why is using consistent terminology important in physics?

Consistent terminology is crucial in physics because it allows for clear communication and understanding among scientists. Physics relies on precise definitions and measurements, and inconsistent terminology can lead to errors and misunderstandings in research and experiments.

3. Can inconsistent terminology in physics have serious consequences?

Yes, inconsistent terminology in physics can have serious consequences. It can lead to incorrect data analysis, flawed theories, and even dangerous miscalculations in real-world applications such as engineering or medicine.

4. How can scientists avoid using inconsistent terminology in physics?

Scientists can avoid using inconsistent terminology in physics by adhering to the accepted definitions and principles of physics. This includes staying updated on any changes or updates to terminology and being mindful of using precise language in discussions and publications.

5. Is there a specific organization that regulates terminology in physics?

Yes, the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) is responsible for regulating terminology in physics. They publish a list of recommended terms and symbols to ensure consistency and accuracy in scientific communication.